Wet floor

FROM HEADLINERS TO CARPETS, CUSTOM DASHES TO MOOD LIGHTING, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
safarigirl
I am merely driving my van

Wet floor

Post by safarigirl »

Hey all
So I know own my third Safari Van. The most current and the one previous are 1997's.
In both vans I have a soaked floor in the middle right behind the front seats. Please keep in mind that after a week of this the carpet had a red tint to it so I assumed it was rad fluid as this van called for red antifreeze not green. If it rains for a few days this will extend all the way to the trunk floor. I have no water spots on the ceiling and in the last van I ripped the flooring out and half of the carpeting on the wall. I thought the issue was the rear heater. It seemed like that was the problem so we left the flooring out so we could watch what was happening. No luck. This van ended up getting in an accident so I took what I could salvage and scrapped it.

Van number two which I currently own has just started with this issue. I have stopped using my rear heater/ac (van 1 did not have rear ac) and my rear wiper washer fluid.

Please help if anyone has had this issue.

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Wet floor

Post by WoodButcher »

I'd be looking at door and window seals first, play the detctive and tuck paper towels behind the trim panels. If any become wet during or after rain you'll have a point to start looking. If you can do so easily I would pull as many pieces off completely and then use the towels, water can follow the framing structure from the roof down to the floor without showing itself if your rack leaks.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

do they have roof racks?
mine leaked at the racks, and travelled down with no sign untill it became a puddle behind the passenger seat on the floor.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
safarigirl

Post by safarigirl »

They both had/have roof racks. This was our first thought but when we couldn't see any wet areas on the roof or walls we looked else where. I will try these suggestions. If I find it is the roof rack, how did you fix it? Thanks

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

Take the rack off and re-attach with fresh sealant on the bolts.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

Topic author
safarigirl

Post by safarigirl »

Did you have any issues with leaks after re applying new sealent???
This van only has 180,000k so it will last another few years for sure so I don't want the body rusting out on me if it starts leaking again.

Thanks for all the help.

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

No issues for me but mine is a different beastie than yours. I built mine for ladders and lumber from steel 2" square tube stock. It's 11 feet long and as wide as the van so it is mounted a little differently. Your rack is attached to the sheet metal with a bolt on top and nut inside.The nut is part of a metal clip and may be rusted beyond redemption. They can be replaced from the outside.
I'll bet Mc Master -Carr would have something suitable.
Another place I had leak was the brake light.