Flipping middle seat for limo style seating

FROM HEADLINERS TO CARPETS, CUSTOM DASHES TO MOOD LIGHTING, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
Meterpig
I finally get the smurf thing

Flipping middle seat for limo style seating

Post by Meterpig »

I had a thought in church today. What about flipping the middle seat so it faces the rear seat? I imagine it involves some cutting and welding....but I am hoping for a bit more space in the rear. I feel that the front and rear are just too close.

Of course the other option is to to move the rear seat back and lose storage.
What do you think of my quest to swap transfer cases to the venerable BW4472?
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9962

Photos including tear down for intake gaskets (PITA)
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-xSjRG/i-bHzD6cz

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Flipping middle seat for limo style seating

Post by doyoulikeithere »

have you tried unclipping it from the floor, pulling it out, turning it around and clipping it in backwards? #-o
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
Meterpig

Post by Meterpig »

Hmm, so I just braved the cold garage in my boxer shorts to look at that-duh. Yes, I could flip it around but then just realized the shoulder belts would have to be located.

hmmmmm. :-k

I think a better layout would be two side seats on one side and one on the door side.
:-k :-k :-k :-k :-k

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Ah yes, the newer van have shoulder belts. I have lots of older benches that have lap only belts and can clip into any location. I just use those.

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

doyoulikeithere wrote:have you tried unclipping it from the floor, pulling it out, turning it around and clipping it in backwards? #-o
Really....you can do that? :poke:

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

who wears seatbelts anyways? my vans have never been used, a friend tried to use one once and it wouldnt even latch, i then tried mine for gits and shiggles and it wouldnt latch either. i determined ive spilt so much beer, coffee and other substances in them over the years that there is gunk built up inside preventing them from latching. we will see how long it takes for my truck to be the same way....
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

GnarliSafari wrote:who wears seatbelts anyways? my vans have never been used, a friend tried to use one once and it wouldnt even latch, i then tried mine for gits and shiggles and it wouldnt latch either. i determined ive spilt so much beer, coffee and other substances in them over the years that there is gunk built up inside preventing them from latching. we will see how long it takes for my truck to be the same way....
So, I guess its safe to say you dont spend a lot of time thinking about it in church then, like the OP? Lol

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Kabey's Van wrote:
doyoulikeithere wrote:have you tried unclipping it from the floor, pulling it out, turning it around and clipping it in backwards? #-o
Really....you can do that? :poke:
I was amazed too. :poke::poke:

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

GnarliSafari wrote:who wears seatbelts anyways? my vans have never been used, a friend tried to use one once and it wouldnt even latch, i then tried mine for gits and shiggles and it wouldnt latch either. i determined ive spilt so much beer, coffee and other substances in them over the years that there is gunk built up inside preventing them from latching. we will see how long it takes for my truck to be the same way....
Mine are all full of Newf slobber. :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha:

Topic author
Meterpig

Post by Meterpig »

GnarliSafari wrote:who wears seatbelts anyways?

Most people born after 1978.

Wagon Master
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by Wagon Master »

Meterpig wrote:Hmm, so I just braved the cold garage in my boxer shorts to look at that-duh. Yes, I could flip it around but then just realized the shoulder belts would have to be located.

hmmmmm. :-k

I think a better layout would be two side seats on one side and one on the door side.
:-k :-k :-k :-k :-k
I did the same just this weekend. What I found is that the lower trim at the rear of the seat on the passenger side (The side where the should belt get's left behind) actually rests on the rear heater unit, and prevents the rear of the seat from clipping in when facing backward.

That trim can be cut down to fit, as the part of the seat that it covers doesn't actually extend into it.

I'll provide pics later this week when I do mine.

As for the belts: My 1994 has the belts entirely integrated into the seats, except for the upper buckle that simply holds the should portion at height. My plan is to add a riser to the seat and locate the upper portion next to the headrest, thus allowing for a fully reversible 2nd row.

This will be a problem for the passenger side, obviously, as it's belt has it's tractor mounted in the roof. Luckily, the 2nd and 3rd rows are universal, and the bolt point to integrate into the seat is already present. I'll simply grab a 3rd row Junnk Yard unit and bolt it in, then remove the roof-mounted unit completely.

Again, pics as I go.

icebrrg3rd
I am smitten with my van

Post by icebrrg3rd »

My center row captains can swivel, and the kids love having the seats facing the rear, so that's how they have been for almost as long as I've owned it. Mine is old enough that it just has lap belts, so I don't have the issue that those with shoulder belts have (lap belts are attached to the side of the seat).

One thing to think about - when you turn them around, the foot space is now shared between the rear and center rows, so if you plan on hauling a full load of people, be prepared for complaints about foot room. Of course, if they're ankle biters, there usually is enough room for their small legs.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim XJ650, Black & Green, 64k miles
83 Yamaha Venture 1200cc, White, 74k miles
91 Chevy Astro 2WD, 4.3L, Maroon, 229k miles
00 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.8L, Blue, 145k miles