Can I remove the armrest from a front seat?

FROM HEADLINERS TO CARPETS, CUSTOM DASHES TO MOOD LIGHTING, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Can I remove the armrest from a front seat?

Post by Herbie »

Is it possible to (easily) remove the arm rest from one of the front seats? I searched here and the web and only found a couple of references to how to do this, but the procedure didn't seem to work for me. #-o
(I tried the push in and rotate back method described in multiple places...)

I'm looking at putting a fridge into the space between the seats, but space is tight. I would need to remove one or both arm rests.

The upside is that the fridge would be close to the height of the armrests, so with a padded top, we still have a place for the elbows... but only if I can get the arm rest off...

Thanks!

EDIT: This is for a 2003 AWD, by the way. It seems the above procedure maybe doesn't work for the newer vans?
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Rotor
I am merely driving my van

Re: Can I remove the armrest from a front seat?

Post by Rotor »

One thing to consider, you will have a metal stud sticking out the side of the seat to deal with.

But I will take the armrests off your hand if you go threw with it.. need them for my rear bench.

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Rotor wrote:One thing to consider, you will have a metal stud sticking out the side of the seat to deal with.

But I will take the armrests off your hand if you go threw with it.. need them for my rear bench.
Ugh, you're kidding. When I picture a removable armrest design in my head, the stud would go with the armrest, not stick out of the seat. Stupid Chevrolet.

I was hoping it would be an easy in/out thing so I could put the armrests back on when the fridge is out (only needed for camping). I guess if I really want to go through with this, I should be looking at the "what other seats will bolt in" thread and find something either slightly narrower (I only need an extra inch or two) or something without arm rests...
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior

Rotor

Post by Rotor »

When I had the stock seat configuration I could fit my Igloo 72 behind the drivers seat (side to side).I don't loose any seating space because car seat also is behind the drivers seat.

With my new bench installed between the 2nd and 3rd row the Igloo fits front to back behind the drivers seat. I think that's the best place for coolers/fridges. You don't have to move or walk over it that way to get to the back.

In both places the cooler could be opened without moving seats or the cooler.

When I looked at getting an EdgeStar 43 portable fridge, the dimensions where smaller then the Igloo I have.

Hope that helps some.

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Rotor wrote:When I had the stock seat configuration I could fit my Igloo 72 behind the drivers seat (side to side).I don't loose any seating space because car seat also is behind the drivers seat.

With my new bench installed between the 2nd and 3rd row the Igloo fits front to back behind the drivers seat. I think that's the best place for coolers/fridges. You don't have to move or walk over it that way to get to the back.

In both places the cooler could be opened without moving seats or the cooler.

When I looked at getting an EdgeStar 43 portable fridge, the dimensions where smaller then the Igloo I have.

Hope that helps some.
That's where I was originally looking to put it, but I'm trying to recover some of that space for the fold-down bed, etc., so I'm hoping it'll fit between the seats. My plan was to put it on a slide so I could slide it aft, swivel the seats to rear-facing, then slide it back between them as an extra table. It does kill the walkthrough space, but like I said, trying to free up room for bed, etc.

cf100mk5

Post by cf100mk5 »

I have uploaded images taken from the GMC repair manual for a 2001 GMC Safari for the two different seat types.
Attachments
armrest removal-3.jpg
armrest removal-4.jpg
Armrest removal-1.jpg
Armrest removal-2.jpg