Rear lift window strut

FROM HEADLINERS TO CARPETS, CUSTOM DASHES TO MOOD LIGHTING, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Rear lift window strut

Post by WE7X »

I have a 'new to me' 1998 LT' .
I am planning to use it as a base for overnight ham radio operations to the hills and deserts of the Pacific Northwest.
I purchased a pair of gas struts for the rear hatch, and easily replaced the passenger side; but the driver side has an inline contact assembly, ( I think for security alarm, and maybe interior light). It seems to be threaded onto the shaft of the strut, but I cannot seem to get it to come loose. Is the switch contact assembly part of the driver side strut, or does it just slide over the shaft of the strut? Or, do I need a different strut assembly for the driver side?
Thanks
Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Forest Green Metallic '98 LS AWD
Issaquah, WA

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: Rear lift window strut

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,
My 2003 Astro LS trim has simple style strut left and right sides.
You may want to look on gmpartsdepartment.com or similar on line sight and try to find OEM part number of struts.
This may give some insight to possible difference of left vs right strut. Also, if your local Chevy dealer is cooperative, they may print you the illustrated parts blow up of hatch struts and any electrical contacts.
Good luck.

AP

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

My 2003 (base) also just has a plain strut (actually it's a gas-spring), on both sides, so I can't compare directly.

HOWEVER, GM Parts Direct shows a different part for the left side, and it's more money, so this may include the switch or other componentry:

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-part ... dware-scat

(#11, different p/ns for right/left)
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WE7X »

OK, Thanks so much for that insights. I will look at the wiring diagram and see about bypassing that electrical device ( switch) that appears to be part that left side strut.
I bought a pair of replacement struts online. After easily replacing the right one (and nowthe hatch stays up), I was quite surprised to find out the left side was different. I had just assumed the little electrical device was screwed onto, or fastened over, the end of an identical strut. It never occurred to me that it might be a different strut assembly.
Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA.
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

Do you have a pic, mine is like Herbies....maybe you can snip the wires and just use the one you have...but I do not know, more curious thank anything.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WE7X »

The dealer tells me the left lift strut (p/n 15716095) is different than the right one, and the electrical part is integral with the strut. It is also more than double the price, and in very limited supply.
One dealer had none, and one larger nearby dealer had two in stock, but says they are no longer being produced, so the supply will go away soon. That part number seems to still be available for about $50 form some on-line sources, whereas the right side ( different p/n) can be had for well under $20 from many sources.

Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

I would definitely take the time to trace the circuit on the diagrams see what it connects to. Obviously many of us are getting by without the fancy one...
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WE7X »

As "Herbie" suggested, and as I had planned; I spent some time in the wiring diagrams, and found out the mysterious switch on the left strut of the liftgate, does nothing more than operate the interior lights. That switch is an open circuit when the liftgate is shut, and provides a 'ground' to an interior lamp circuit.
That strut mounted switch does the same function as the door switches on the other doors. It is just an added expense as the result of the liftgate/dutch door option.

Rod J.
'89 LS AWD in Forest Metallic Green
Issaquah, WA.
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Solid work!

I'm glad it was the thing we all thought it was.