Driver and passenger windows go up very slowly, if at all

FROM HEADLINERS TO CARPETS, CUSTOM DASHES TO MOOD LIGHTING, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
trip_south
I am smitten with my van

Driver and passenger windows go up very slowly, if at all

Post by trip_south »

The driver and passenger windows both go down fine but usually when trying to shut the window it starts going up very slowly and then stops after a second or two. Waiting 15-45 seconds allows for another try at shutting the window, usually resulting in the same second or two of movement and then stoppage. I figure the motor/regulator may just be getting tired after 100K miles but I'm not sure what exactly to replace. I see they sell window/regular combination units but I'm not sure if I need both changed out. Is there some thermal regulator that I'm testing every time I try shutting and that might be bad too?

Thanks for any advice!
99 Safari AWD -> 4WD slowly Update: Auto 4wd, 2Hi, 4Hi work, no luck with shifting to 4lo

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Driver and passenger windows go up very slowly, if at al

Post by Smiliesafari »

I'm guessing that nothing on the regulator has been lubed since the van left the factory. The factory lube gets hard after all these years. A good cleaning and fresh lube would do miracles for the operation of the windows.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
trip_south
I am smitten with my van

Post by trip_south »

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.
99 Safari AWD -> 4WD slowly Update: Auto 4wd, 2Hi, 4Hi work, no luck with shifting to 4lo

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

I've replaced both of mine. I spent $20 each, shipped from eBay and they have been working perfect for a few years now. As for replacing them, remove the door panel, drill out the rivets and screw in the new ones, very easy.

My Dad has a Chevy car and I convinced him he could do it too and same result, cheap and easy.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box