I thought I had transmission trouble

HVAC, heating, cooling, air handling. Anything air temp related.

Topic author
Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

I thought I had transmission trouble

Post by Captn. Crunch »

The last couple of weeks the trans in my safari AWD started acting up. It would fade in after shifting from rev to drive. It was surging on the highway and I was getting ready to slam in a used one. Last night I had a burning smell in the van and when I got home there was smoke billowing out from under the hood. I sent one of my boys running for a fire extinguisher and popped the hood. The ac compressor was smoking pretty good but didn't burst into flames. My buddy had a spare used compressor and an hour later we were all buttoned back up. This morning I headed out and the trans shifted just fine. Zero issues. The compressor must have been pulling the engine down to the point that the electronically controlled trans was affected. So I'll get the system re-charged tomorrow and be on my merry way. Pretty wild how it affected an unrelated system but I guess with computer controls everything's connected.
I'd rather swap out an ac compressor than a tranny any day. Can't wait to see what happens to my gas mileage!!
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s