Rear Heater Delete?

HVAC, heating, cooling, air handling. Anything air temp related.

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Rear Heater Delete?

Post by Herbie »

So my question is can I delete the rear heater?

I never use it. We don't live where it gets particularly cold, and it's only good for cooking rear passenger feet anyhow. Moreover, the number of rear vents is about to be cut down to just a couple because I'm building some cabinetry back there for my camper conversion. With all the trim stripped back, I can also see that removing the rear blower motor and radiator assembly would buy me some valuable volume I need in that area. Also, I have a crazy idea...

From what I can see, there's just the pair of water lines coming in from underneath, and the electrical connection for the fan. Does that sound right? So what I'm thinking is that phase 1 will be to just bypass the coolant lines by disconnecting them and putting in a union. Then I should be able to drain and remove the core, right?

Phase 2 will be to install a Helton heat exchanger in its place, since long-term I want to be able to have hot water for showers, etc. Plenty of room to install it there, plus the plumbing would be super convenient rather than mount it in the engine bay and then pump cold water up to the front of the van and back...

Thoughts?
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Rear Heater Delete?

Post by Wiley »

Please make this happen, I have thought of ditching mine for the same reasons.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

I have disconnected the rear heater lines in a few of my Stros.
Only b'cuz they had sprung leaks in the metal pipes. Seems pretty common.

Sounds like a good plan and as long as the existing metal plumbing is still good, I dont see why you couldnt use it for your plan.

I just changed the plumbing a bit where it splits out into either the front or rear heaters.
Thats on the firewall, passenger side , right where the hoses pass thru the firewall.
I took the diverter valve right out of the system
so just that the front heater core would get hot water.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Herbie

I pulled the rear heat and a/c out of mine a couple of years ago. I just bridged the in and out lines just under the floor with a loop of 1/2"??? heater hose and a few clamps. It's been working fine. The a/c was more involved :rolleyes:
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

photo_van wrote:Herbie

I pulled the rear heat and a/c out of mine a couple of years ago. I just bridged the in and out lines just under the floor with a loop of 1/2"??? heater hose and a few clamps. It's been working fine. The a/c was more involved :rolleyes:
Thanks. This is high on my list now. I did a test-run of my new interior layout and most things worked pretty well, but the fridge behind the driver's seat is about 3-4" too far inboard. Deleting the heater and the plastic panel with the cupholder will get me the space I need!
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Yep, gives you a lot more room. But beware of the gas filler; it protrudes into the cabin space almost as much as the heater, If your fridge fits in the space between it and the back of the seat, you're in there.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

photo_van wrote:Yep, gives you a lot more room. But beware of the gas filler; it protrudes into the cabin space almost as much as the heater, If your fridge fits in the space between it and the back of the seat, you're in there.
You got it! ;-) It's right in the space between. I've relocated my house battery into a custom box on the other side of the filler bulge, and the fridge will nestle up to it's forward edge nicely.

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

Looking forward to seeing the end result and like the heat exchanger idea too.

What about swapping out the bypass valve for non-rear unit? Probably easier and cheaper to just bypass though....

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... cc=1423875

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... cc=1423875
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

OK, I think I'm going to attempt this over the weekend. Let me know if you see a problem with this plan.

I have these two hoses here:

which go up through the floor to meet the rear heater core here:

I have purchased a 1/2" barbed union, which I think will be correct. I'm hoping I can just release the clamp, yank each hose, then join them together without losing much coolant. Of course, I'm sure I'll find a way to muck it up. Can anyone make any recommendations on not loosing too much coolant? I was thinking about putting a c-clamp on each of the lines, but worried that since the soft lines are short there wouldn't be much room to maneuver things around to get the union in place...

Ideas?

EDIT: Re-reading photo_van's comment above, I'm thinking he removed the crimped part of the hose and just looped at the hard lines. Better to do that?

chesehd
I get chills without my van.

Post by chesehd »

I've not done this so I don't know how difficult it would be. By looking at it I would try to separate the two clamps under the van, remove one hose entirely, then loop the remaining hose back to the now-opened pipe. You will likely end up needing to drain the system to keep from making a mess on yourself of getting the coolant all over your face.

At least, that it's what I would try first.

I like the HX idea! Did you see that somewhere our come up with it on your own? Any idea on what you would use?
Ken

2003 AWD
Back in the saddle on a new horse!

A lot of money is tainted: 'Taint yours, and 'taint mine.

H2OJoe
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by H2OJoe »

Hey Herbie,
Did this go as planned? Any unexpected problems? I want to remove the rear heater and ac and have been considering this same thing.
Thanks for the info.

Joe
2001 Astro LT AWD "Redneck Edition", 4" Custom Lift, 30x9.5R15LT on stock wheels, Hightop conversion, custom interior, custom roof racks, external solar shower, front recovery points. SOLD

1997 Astro LS AWD Starting build soon.

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

H2OJoe wrote:Hey Herbie,
Did this go as planned? Any unexpected problems? I want to remove the rear heater and ac and have been considering this same thing.
Thanks for the info.

Joe
I ended up not doing this yet. Have the parts, but ran out of time before a couple of trips, and it turns out it won't buy me much as much room as I'd hoped because I also have clearance issues with the driver's seatbelt reel.

I'll pull it when I get around to installing the heat exchanger for the got water system.