AC electrical help please...

HVAC, heating, cooling, air handling. Anything air temp related.

Topic author
Gorwoc
I am merely driving my van

AC electrical help please...

Post by Gorwoc »

Hey folks, I'm kinda new here with a 95 AWD Safari that has a AC electrical problem. I'm hoping somebody might suggest a direction. It has charge I believe, in fact about 32psi static. Here's what I did so far... There's power at the low pressure switch but when I cross with a wire (ign/eng/switch on), the clutch doesn't come on. I checked the fuse and the relay and they have power (ign/eng/sw on). I checked the connection at the clutch but no power. I tried to carefully tap the clutch to come on right from the battery (with ignition/engine off) but only burned my finger, clutch didn't snap. I kinda overcharged the system a little last year (let's not go into that), just before it quit and my "common AC" schematic suggests there might be a high pressure cutoff switch but I can't find it. I figure that the switch is good or I wouldn't have power at the relay however the fan doesn't come on with max and I can hear the doors close in the dash. Anybody got any suggestions? Thanks.

Gorwoc
95 Safari AWD, "Sally"
(...and a couple of motorcycles)

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: AC electrical help please...

Post by Smiliesafari »

Welcome to the site "G". On my "96 there is also a connector behind the compressor. It has been known to come loose.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
Gorwoc

Post by Gorwoc »

Thanks Smiles. Of course that makes sense. I've been hesitating to take the dog house off and trying to check things from above but of course the little wires at the clutch can't provide the power needed to drive it. That's why there's a relay and there IS a reason why my daughter put "Dork" on the banner of my phone after all. I'll check that out and thanks for the reply.

Topic author
Gorwoc

Post by Gorwoc »

Well, I pulled the dog house and I was certainly wrong about the needed power feed. It's just another set of small green wires. But I tested them for hot and there is power there. I plugged them back in and tested at the clutch again but still no power there. I'm at a loss on this one, still a Dork and still sweating.

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

32 psi static is too low.. Your system is basically empty. Gotta find the leak and repair. Then vacuum, and refill.

Your static pressure should match ambient temperature on your gauge. You will get that with just a few ounces, so 32 in texas is way too low!

Scott