Hate to be right but... am I right?

ANYTHING TO DO WITH CHANGING THE AIR TEMP INSIDE YOUR VAN.

Moderator: LiftedAWDAstro

SafariSoGood
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:53 pm
antispam: No
How many wheels are on an Astro van? (4): 4
Location: Philadelphia PA

Hate to be right but... am I right?

Post by SafariSoGood » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:24 am

new to me 2004 Safari SLE

So I replaced the blower motor relay (melted) and while I was at it, the blower motor.

And behold - the evaporator cover that conceals the blower motor was... missing. Or at least, a big chunk of it was missing. I can see the tunnel through which air should blow and ultimately be distributed to the vents inside the cabin.

Which would (I think) explain why there's low air pressure through the front vents. Even with the new relay and blower motor, fan speeds low and mid are practically zero breeze, and high is noisy but unsatisfying air pressure.

Meanwhile, the AC compressor does not engage. I'm thinking not only low/no refrigerant possible (I haven't even got there yet), but even if I charged it, doesn't the entire climate control system depend on vacuum?

When I turn the dials inside the cabin I don't hear any hissing so i know the vacuum isn't opening/closing vents. (Also I checked that common problem of brittle vacuum line and it looks like they replaced long ago with a nice rubber tube which seems to be seated properly).

If that's true, this may be a near impossible fix. The evaporator cover parts aren't made anymore. I found a couple-few OEM replacements ($250+ shipping for an incomplete set).

Am I right about the vacuum? Any experienced AstroSafari gurus care to suggest odds of finding usable parts in a yard?

If it's hopeless, I'm thinking maybe a rooftop DC unit that isn't direct drive from the engine. Don't know if that's even possible.

I welcome any thoughts, suggestions, cruel jokes at my expense : )

Captn. Crunch
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:10 pm
antispam: No
How many wheels are on an Astro van? (4): 4
Location: southeastern ct

Re: Hate to be right but... am I right?

Post by Captn. Crunch » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:10 pm

I’m junking my 99. Make a list of what you need and I’ll put it all in a box. Also you need to be wary of rubber tubing when dealing with vacuum. It can collapse on itself. They used that hard plastic for a reason
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

User avatar
timelessbeing
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2715
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:55 pm
antispam: No
How many wheels are on an Astro van? (4): 4

Re: Hate to be right but... am I right?

Post by timelessbeing » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:07 pm

there's also a vacuum tank and checkvalve that need to be working properly

SafariSoGood
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:53 pm
antispam: No
How many wheels are on an Astro van? (4): 4
Location: Philadelphia PA

Re: Hate to be right but... am I right?

Post by SafariSoGood » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:05 pm

Captn. Crunch wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:10 pm
I’m junking my 99. Make a list of what you need and I’ll put it all in a box. Also you need to be wary of rubber tubing when dealing with vacuum. It can collapse on itself. They used that hard plastic for a reason
Wow thanks Captn. Crunch! :cheers:

I posted an image on a hidden page on my website: https://www.joshuafinancial.com/img

Definitely need #4 Evaporator case that's the one i'm sure is missing huge chunks

I'd be happy to buy everything shown in the schematic, though if it could work in my 2004?

SafariSoGood
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:53 pm
antispam: No
How many wheels are on an Astro van? (4): 4
Location: Philadelphia PA

Re: Hate to be right but... am I right?

Post by SafariSoGood » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:06 pm

timelessbeing wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:07 pm
there's also a vacuum tank and checkvalve that need to be working properly
Thanks for that info!!

Captn. Crunch
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:10 pm
antispam: No
How many wheels are on an Astro van? (4): 4
Location: southeastern ct

Re: Hate to be right but... am I right?

Post by Captn. Crunch » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:47 pm

No problem I’ll get busy pulling parts. The housing and whatnot won’t be a problem. You just replaced the blower motor so do you want a spare? I can’t pull the ac compressor as I still need to be able to start the van and move it. It’s graduation week so it may be next week before I can dedicate any real time but we can get you right.
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

SafariSoGood
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:53 pm
antispam: No
How many wheels are on an Astro van? (4): 4
Location: Philadelphia PA

Re: Hate to be right but... am I right?

Post by SafariSoGood » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:17 am

Captn. Crunch wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:47 pm
No problem I’ll get busy pulling parts. The housing and whatnot won’t be a problem. You just replaced the blower motor so do you want a spare? I can’t pull the ac compressor as I still need to be able to start the van and move it. It’s graduation week so it may be next week before I can dedicate any real time but we can get you right.
You're fantastic, truly. Thank you so much.

First of all congratulations! How many grads do you have (or is it you?) ?

Thanks no for the spare blower. No worries about any other AC parts (though if your evaporator or filter showing in the diagram are in better-than-trash condition - I am guessing mine are compromised)

Sorry for the delayed replies to your too kind messages. I am not receiving notices I'm not sure why. I'll figure this board out eventually.

Captn. Crunch
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:10 pm
antispam: No
How many wheels are on an Astro van? (4): 4
Location: southeastern ct

Re: Hate to be right but... am I right?

Post by Captn. Crunch » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:59 pm

Tap on your user name at the top right of the page. Tap on user control panel. Tap on board preferences. Set all options in all four categories. The final one is the one that will have you notified by email that you have a message
Thanks I have two sons. Oldest will be a jr. when he returns to CCSU in the fall. My youngest is graduating high school and heading to study art in Portland Me. They are very good people and I am very happy to be their dad
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

SafariSoGood
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:53 pm
antispam: No
How many wheels are on an Astro van? (4): 4
Location: Philadelphia PA

Re: Hate to be right but... am I right?

Post by SafariSoGood » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:18 pm

Captn. Crunch wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:59 pm
Tap on your user name at the top right of the page. Tap on user control panel. Tap on board preferences. Set all options in all four categories. The final one is the one that will have you notified by email that you have a message
Thanks I have two sons. Oldest will be a jr. when he returns to CCSU in the fall. My youngest is graduating high school and heading to study art in Portland Me. They are very good people and I am very happy to be their dad
:guitar: congratulations again!! Being a dad rocks and I wish you infinitely greater joy from your young men! Enjoy every moment (sounds like you do indeed)

My baby girl just "graduated" from nursery school today. My oldest girl is going into 8th grade. My two boys are in the middle. and that's why we love our Safari! (well...my wife doesn't but the rest of us do )

thanks for the instructions! going to do that now.

Captn. Crunch
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:10 pm
antispam: No
How many wheels are on an Astro van? (4): 4
Location: southeastern ct

Re: Hate to be right but... am I right?

Post by Captn. Crunch » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:02 pm

Happy Father’s Day to you as well. Coolest job I ever had, well maybe the time I was security for exotic dancers but I digress. Had my first kid at forty so I get to go from proud grad dad to retired in the same week. Oh wait you want to go to college WHERE!?!
Ok retirements back on the shelf. Let’s build the latest Safari for our road trips to Portland. :supz:
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

User avatar
timelessbeing
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2715
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:55 pm
antispam: No
How many wheels are on an Astro van? (4): 4

Re: Hate to be right but... am I right?

Post by timelessbeing » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:10 am

Captn. Crunch wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:02 pm
road trips to Portland. :supz:
:guitar:

SafariSoGood
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:53 pm
antispam: No
How many wheels are on an Astro van? (4): 4
Location: Philadelphia PA

Re: Hate to be right but... am I right?

Post by SafariSoGood » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:45 pm

Captn. Crunch wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:02 pm
Happy Father’s Day to you as well. Coolest job I ever had, well maybe the time I was security for exotic dancers but I digress. Had my first kid at forty so I get to go from proud grad dad to retired in the same week. Oh wait you want to go to college WHERE!?!
Ok retirements back on the shelf. Let’s build the latest Safari for our road trips to Portland. :supz:
thanks! Me too - well, 37 but that's close enough to 40. :cheers:

Wow portland is a long way from CT Captain. that's must be some build!

I'm still not getting notices from the board I wonder what I could be doing wrong.

Captn. Crunch
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:10 pm
antispam: No
How many wheels are on an Astro van? (4): 4
Location: southeastern ct

Re: Hate to be right but... am I right?

Post by Captn. Crunch » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:36 pm

Portland Maine not Oregon. His mom would never let her baby get that far away from her on his first foray into the world! It’s still a six hr drive so I’m really gonna feel it in fuel economy loss When I go tall on the tires but what the hell these things suck mileage wise no matter what especially the awd.
So my plate is clear and your parts pull is next on the list. It’s pouring buckets and will be doing so for a couple of days. As soon as the rain stops the wrenching starts. Hang in there
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

SafariSoGood
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:53 pm
antispam: No
How many wheels are on an Astro van? (4): 4
Location: Philadelphia PA

Re: Hate to be right but... am I right?

Post by SafariSoGood » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:38 pm

Captn. Crunch wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:36 pm
Portland Maine not Oregon. His mom would never let her baby get that far away from her on his first foray into the world! It’s still a six hr drive so I’m really gonna feel it in fuel economy loss When I go tall on the tires but what the hell these things suck mileage wise no matter what especially the awd.
So my plate is clear and your parts pull is next on the list. It’s pouring buckets and will be doing so for a couple of days. As soon as the rain stops the wrenching starts. Hang in there
You're really the best. Please don't feel pressure at all about timing on parts - you have NO idea how grateful I am and I am absolutely blown away by your generosity. :prayer:

While you're up in ME maybe you can do a little overlanding - won't be hard to find opportunity. Of course, I've recently learned that important parts such as drive shafts are no longer available so maybe not...

fuel is going to be tough - especially now that Iran is getting aggressive the futures market is reacting. it never takes long for those market moves to hit the pumps. on the bright side, more Americans back to work in the oil fields.

Captn. Crunch
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:10 pm
antispam: No
How many wheels are on an Astro van? (4): 4
Location: southeastern ct

Re: Hate to be right but... am I right?

Post by Captn. Crunch » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:52 pm

Suns supposed to return for the entire weekend so keep your fingers X’d
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Post Reply