Leak! Not sure where it's from...

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

Topic author
LJRacing91
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Leak! Not sure where it's from...

Post by LJRacing91 »

I had been smelling coolant when I had been driving the 93 since I had changed the radiator. I recently had the passenger side freeze plug replaced, since it had apparently rotted through. I gave it about a week of driving to "burn off" the excess coolant from getting changed out and such. The smell never went away, so I decided to park it until I could get to the bottom of the smell. Well, I rented a pressure tester today from AZ, and let it sit for a few minutes. Of course I got underneath to check for minor drips, and noticed a trickle down the front of the engine. Stood back up, and noticed the leak from the top of the engine on the driver's side. It seemed to be a minor seepage, but it's still there. I checked the thermostat housing and the hose connected to it, all dry and clear.

Honestly, my worst fear is it's another intake gasket leak, like my 95 had years ago. Is this the only possibility, or is there something else to check? Before taking it in, I'd like to see if it's possibly something I could take care of myself.

I'm including some pictures to show what I'm talking about.

You'll see the thermostat housing and hose to the left, and the "pool" behind it is perfectly dry. No leaks. T-stat housing seems to be out IMO by that, correct?

Just an upclose view of the leak, apparently blurry, didn't look that way when I took it. Go figure.

Thanks for any and all help everybody.
1995 Chevrolet Astro CL "W" 246k and counting
1993 GMC Safari SLE "Z" 261k and counting
2001 Chevrolet Express 2500HD 139k and counting
2003 Toyota Matrix XR 81k and counting

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Although the intake on your 93 is slightly different than my 95 (with respects to the therm housing) I'd say it looks like the Intake gasket is leaking.

Check out pg 3 of the "How To forum" for how to fix.