A/C Clutch erractict / plenty of Freon & New Low PSI Swi

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

Topic author
9dawgs
I sleep in my van

A/C Clutch erractict / plenty of Freon & New Low PSI Swi

Post by 9dawgs »

Can't figure this out. The system has plenty of freon and I've replaced the low pressure switch with a new one. Switch connector has 13v to it when not plugged in but when plugged into the switch it drops to 2v and is not enough to engage the clutch. After driving for awhile the clutch will engage and blow cold air but it does this erractically like there is a short somewhere. I checked the relays and fuses and they are all also ok. Thinking they may be partially burnt I replaced them with others and got the same results. Anyone have any new ideas as to where I should look next?? :-k
Jim<><

'99 Astro 4X2, (RIP) 4" Overland Lift, 31X10.50/15 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO,
Rancho RS5000 shocks, Rockford Fosgate RFX9000, Red Top Optima, K&N Filter

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

I had a similar problem on my 89 Lesabre. It turned out to be the connector on the high pressure switch had loosed up and came out. It showed 12 volts until you loaded it down with the clutch. Then showed 2 or volts like your seeing.

The switch is on the back of the compressor. You could try jumping it out to see if the switch is bad. You have to discharge the system to change it. But hopefully the connector is just loose.

Otherwise maybe you have a wire somewhere that has rubbed through and grounding out.

Scott

Topic author
9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Re:

Post by 9dawgs »

sfeaver wrote:I had a similar problem on my 89 Lesabre. It turned out to be the connector on the high pressure switch had loosed up and came out. It showed 12 volts until you loaded it down with the clutch. Then showed 2 or volts like your seeing.

The switch is on the back of the compressor. You could try jumping it out to see if the switch is bad. You have to discharge the system to change it. But hopefully the connector is just loose.

Otherwise maybe you have a wire somewhere that has rubbed through and grounding out.

Scott
Thanks, that's what I'll do next. I've been living with it for awhile now and it hasn't been so bad since the wx has been mild. It'll start getting warmer here in the swamp pretty soon now so it's time to readdress this issue.
Jim<><

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

Topic author
9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Re: Problem Solved!!!

Post by 9dawgs »

sfeaver wrote:I had a similar problem on my 89 Lesabre. It turned out to be the connector on the high pressure switch had loosed up and came out. It showed 12 volts until you loaded it down with the clutch. Then showed 2 or volts like your seeing.

Scott
Hey Sfeaver, the connector was the culprit. It was actually the male side. One of the pins was pushed in far enough to occasionally vibrate and make contact so it would only work when driving, eventually it just quit all together. I disconneted the connector and looked at the pins and low and behold, there it was! I pulled the pin back up, reconnected it to the compressor and viola! A/C works great now... Thanks for the tip!!!
Jim<><

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)