Redtek in current system

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

Topic author
Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Redtek in current system

Post by Rileysowner »

I am wondering if the new Redtek A/C coolant can be mixed with the current coolant in the A/C system? I know the local regulations require the system to be evacuated the current coolant captured in the appropriate containment system and then recharged, but I was wondering if mixing the current coolant ('97 Safari) with the Redtek would work as I assume the evacuation of the system is for environmental reasons not functional ones.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Re: Redtek in current system

Post by sfeaver »

Redtek is a mixture of Propane and Isobutane. It isnt regulated yet in Canada. If your system isnt working right then you probably have a leak. Do you want that leaking in your system?

But to answer your question, R134a and this BBQ fuel have different Pressure/Temperature curves. Will it work and cool.. Probably. But, you'll br changing out your compressor as a minimum in the not to distant future.

Why do you think you need to touch the A/C? You need some gauges to know for sure, but it might be something other than low charge. Make sure fan clutch is good, pulling lots of air through the condenser.

Scott

Topic author
Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Redtek in current system

Post by Rileysowner »

Nothing wrong with my current system, I was just curious.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/