Thermostat Bang Head

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Thermostat Bang Head

Post by kings-x59 »

[quote="Rileysowner"]This is what I received. So the black rubber piece running around the edge is the housing gasket?

wow, GM actually improved something. My thermostat housing has a separate gasket.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

It sure makes it an easy install. That is why I am so frustrated the whole thing took so long. Hopefully I have the stud in tight enough, no way to get a torque wrench in there. It was almost impossible to get my ratchets in there.

I may not have a leak as I realized when I got home no matter where I go I smell coolant. I think I just have the smell in my nose. I will still check either tomorrow or Friday.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

ah don't get frustrated. Any time I run up against something new I'm the world's slowest shade tree mechanic, or carpenter, or plumber, or electrician (dang I hate messing with electricity).

One frozen, or nearly inaccessible bolt or nut can bring any process to a grinding halt. That's how I've filled my special tool box of secret weapons.
You got 'er done nonetheless...won't have to do it again for a while.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

I hope not. If there is a slow leak I will have to replace that upper rad hose, but that is a simple enough job over all.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

clarkperez2334

Re: Thermostat Bang Head - BRAND SUGGESTION?????

Post by clarkperez2334 »

Hi guys!

I need to replace my thermostat. Which brand do you think is much better to use a NAPA Superstat or Calorstat? [-o<

p.s.
Rileysowner, how much is your NAPA Superstat, where did you bought it? :D

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I've always made it a point to use quality parts. Thermostats are cheap. Use the best that your supplier has to offer.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

To piggyback this thread, I am having a hard time getting a good seal on the thermo housing after a replacement. Pretty much saying I have a leak at the thermo housing rear stud, should I tighten it?

Edit: Took off the plastic top that attaches to the air filter stuff since its only held on by 1 plastic screw, so there is plenty of room for a torque wrench now, just dont drop anything in there! Should be all set. Thanks!
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley