Block/Circulating Tank Heaters

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

Topic author
BREAK
I am smitten with my van

Block/Circulating Tank Heaters

Post by BREAK »

I need to get some block heating hardware installed on at least one of my vans so my girlfriend will quit starting them 20 minutes before she leaves in 40 degree whether.... ](*,)

I think the freeze-out plug holes are 41 or 41.5MM. Does anyone know for sure?

How about Circulating Tank Heaters, has anyone installed one? LINK
I think they work off of convection. I would much rather have something with a pump in it but i don't think they make anything like that, at least i haven't been able to find one.

I will probably be using an outdoor electric timer, is anyone else using that set-up and have any advise?
Image Image

1995 2WD Astro 165K+
2000 AWD Astro 142K+, fully loaded

1995 Dodge 2500HD V10 4X4 reg cab 75K+, BFG all terrains (nice truck, everything is perfect on it)
1994 Honda Magna 4K+

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Block/Circulating Tank Heaters

Post by SafariRob »

Break, I've had Kat tank-type heaters on two of my previous vehicles, not on my Astro, though. In both cases the heaters worked well; starting either engine was a snap no matter how cold the weather was. In both cases, though, there wasn't instant heat from the vehicle's heater/defroster like I had expected, but the heat did come on quickly. Both of these I would plug in at night during cold weather for an easy start in the morning.
I owned a 1984 Diesel Chevette that came from GM with a block heater, the type that takes the place of a freeze plug in the engine. I experimented during cold weather on just how long the block heater needed to be plugged in so the engine would start (remember, it was a diesel). I found that 20 minutes top was needed and that was when we had an extreme cold snap where the temperature dropped to -12F. After that, I rigged up a timer to turn on the block heater about a half hour before I left for work. It worked very well IF I remembered to plug the car into the outlet at night!

Between the two types of heaters, I would opt for the freeze plug type--there's no plumbing with it and it puts the heat right where it's needed. But I bet it would be a real task to install one in an Astro...'course, installing a tank-type in an Astro wouldn't be fun, either.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

What about the option of a 12v vehicle heater she would plug in and turn on when she hops in the van? instant heat for her until the vans heat kicks in.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

We had a farm tractor with one of the tank heaters and it worked awesome. The other style I have used is the lower radiator hose heaters. They work awesome and I never had one leak or fail. My truck has a block heater and it works awesome as well.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

Why, pray tell, does she warm up the vehicle in 40º weather? That's not even cold enough to chill beer! The van will warm itself quicker if she just gets in and drives.

Buy her a winterfront instead!
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:We had a farm tractor with one of the tank heaters and it worked awesome. The other style I have used is the lower radiator hose heaters. They work awesome and I never had one leak or fail. My truck has a block heater and it works awesome as well.

so in short any type of coolant heating apparatus(did i even spell that right) is awesome?
I've never used the block heater in my van now you got me thinking
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Cobra wrote:
LiftedAWDAstro wrote:We had a farm tractor with one of the tank heaters and it worked awesome. The other style I have used is the lower radiator hose heaters. They work awesome and I never had one leak or fail. My truck has a block heater and it works awesome as well.

so in short any type of coolant heating apparatus(did i even spell that right) is awesome?
I've never used the block heater in my van now you got me thinking

Once we get below 0 I plug in my block heater. Works great. No instant heat but by the time I hit the end of my street I have heat.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Topic author
BREAK
I am smitten with my van

Post by BREAK »

CaptSquid wrote:Why, pray tell, does she warm up the vehicle in 40º weather? That's not even cold enough to chill beer! The van will warm itself quicker if she just gets in and drives.
She wants the van warmed up for the the kid's on their 5-6 minute ride to daycare. I'm sure once the weather gets colder she'll be happy to have 40 degree mornings and won't start it then, she'll do it on 15 degree days like I've been asking her to.
Image Image

1995 2WD Astro 165K+
2000 AWD Astro 142K+, fully loaded

1995 Dodge 2500HD V10 4X4 reg cab 75K+, BFG all terrains (nice truck, everything is perfect on it)
1994 Honda Magna 4K+