Hole in Aluminum A/C line

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

Topic author
bookemdano
I am merely driving my van

Hole in Aluminum A/C line

Post by bookemdano »

Last weekend I recharged my A/C system, this weekend I'm trying to find where 3 pounds of R134A refrigerant vanished too. After following all of the A/C line around my van (I have front and rear A/C) I found the leak. A tube that exits the rear of the compressor, T's and one line runs down the backside of the engine to the rear A/C. The line runs right next to the engine block and this is where I found the leak.
DSC00870.JPG
You can see in the photo (with an inspection mirror), that the line has rubbed agaist the engine for sime time... wish I would have found this last year! My question, Can this tube be repaired? JB Weld, etc.? Or does the whole line need replaced.

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Hole in Aluminum A/C line

Post by Rileysowner »

I'm surprised Peter has not replied to this. Although his expertise, other than making wise ass comments, is HVAC, I would figure there has to be some overlap in the HVAC of buildings and that of vans.

As for me, I have no idea if that could be fixed so easily as using JB Weld. I would think something more would be needed.

Hopefully someone will give a useful response soon.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

tbhager94
I sleep in my van

Post by tbhager94 »

if you look to the left of the mirror you can see that on of the hose hangers is just hanging there , thats why it was rubbing , i suggest taking the line off and taking it to a radiator shop and see if they will aluminum weld it .
2000 chev blazer 4x4
If its got tits or wheels, its gonna give you problems!
im sure we all know the #1 junk yard rule if it fits in your pocket its free.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I think that if you know someone skilled enough to heli-arc that hole you would be good to go. However, it would require you to remove that line and clean it real good. And after the amount of work that requires I think you would be ahead of the game to just replace it. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
bookemdano

Post by bookemdano »

I un-did the line holder, witch was attached to the engine block. If you have rear A/C, next time you change the oil take a look at this line. Mine had no rubber insulation at the point the line wore through. I will install some rubber tubing after I get this reapired!!

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

It can be repaired with a welding torch and some aluminum brazing rods at an a/c or radiator shop.

I would remove the complete hose and take it to them. Or your alternative would be to buy a complete new hose (expensive)

JB Weld is not an option.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Yep, I had a similar problem. I used the aluminum brazing type rod. So far so good, it's holding. If I could have removed the hose (mine was the line running under the van to the rear evap) I would have prefered to Tig it at work, but I was impressed with the brazing stuff. You will want to practice on some scrap first though.

Good Luck
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

I agree with the wanker. JB Weld is NOT an option, mainly due to the pressures involved. Fix it right or replace it with a new line.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

Contrary to what you might expect, A/C line is not expensive and more than likely a generic one can be fabbed for practically nothing.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box