a/c not working

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

Topic author
92astro
I finally get the smurf thing

a/c not working

Post by 92astro »

1992 astro TBI engine ok i ohmed out the pressuer switch and it is closed and i ohmed out the clutch on the compressor it is good. ok with the engine running and a/c set on i get "0" volts at the pressuer switch. what is the problem is it a relay and how do i test??
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: a/c not working

Post by peter »

Did you check the high pressure switch for a closed circuit?
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

not yet where is it and how do i acces it and can you post a pic please??
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

It should be somewhere on the high-side section of the refrigerant piping. I have no clue whatsoever as to where on your truck, though. Follow the lines, son.... :supz:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

will the high pressure switch look like the low pressue??? also is there a wiring diagram for the air conditioing system??

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Yeah, I would think that the high-pressure cut-out would look the same. There surely is a diagram somewhere. Seeing as you wanna wrench on your truck, why don't you go on EBay and look for an OEM service manual for your model year. It'd help immensely! :supz:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

well i looked everywhere for that high pressue switch and took the doghouse off and still could not find it. i am gonna look at the relay and the selecter switch what else could cut the power to the low pressue switch???

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

hey peter i came up with an idea to check the compressor clutch, ok, i would disconnect the connector on the clutch then i would run a wire from the clutch to grould, then run another wire to the postive side of the battery then start engine the clutch should engage then the compressor shouldd start pumping!!! just to make sure the compressor is good! to text it. also i could run a hot from clutch to battery and negertive to battery

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

That'll work, 'xcept you don't even have to start the engine. You'll see/hear the clutch pull in...
The hp cut-out is on the rear end of my compressor. Upper terminals near the pulley are power, rear set are hp switch.
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

okay thank-you peter i will be testing this here in a little while!! so i will report back!! if it does work i might rig up a toggle switch to turn on/off the clutch!! but that is my last resort. the problem might be in the selecter switch. but don't know yet. i do have knowledge of electric and heat and air because i am on my 2nd year of heat and air, and there is lots of electric involved.!!!

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

i just tested the clutch it pulls in just fine so that is good.

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

If you have no power on the light green wire at the pressure switch, check if you have power at the AC selector switch, that is fed with a Brown/White wire. If that has 12 volts, then your mode selector switch is bad.

If Its still dead there, check at the fan speed switch. That is fed with a brown wire, if that doesnt have any power then check your fuse. If it does have power then the fan switch could be bad.

There is no high pressure switch on a 92 from what I can see on Mitchell.

Scott

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

okay i will look at the selecter switch i bypassed the whole control system and ran one wire to the positive side of the battery and ran the other wire to the negative side of the battery the clutch pulled in just fine i ran the engine and i engaged the clutch the compressor came on just fine, but it does need 1 or 2 cans of refrigant. but thats it it runs great no adnormal noise. so i know the problem is on the control side.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

If it needs 1 or 2 cans of refrigerant, the low pressure cut out switch is what is holding it up. Unplug the switch and jumper it. Make sure the van is running and the controls are set to A/C. Just jumper the 2 wires and it should kick on.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

You can find wiring diagrams at http://www.Autozone.com
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc