can AC be swapped?

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

can AC be swapped?

Post by crash »

ok.. here's a hypothetical..

van A is a 93 (w engine) with working AC

van B is a 94 (w engine) with non-working AC (for a few years)

can AC system from van A be swapped into van B ?

how hard would it be .. and what all would need to be swapped over?
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

you can swap the parts but it will still need to be recharged
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

that's cool though (no pun intended)

2 can's of duracool and it'd be good to go! :-k
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

Well two cans of duracool and rental on a machine to evacuate the air the got into the system when you moved it from one to the other. :)
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Matstro
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by Matstro »

Although it is HIGHLY advised that you evacuate the system with a vacuum pump, it is possible to just fill the system with Duracool. I have seen this done multiple times with no failures to date.

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Post by v8famvan »

Rob, question for you.
Why would you want to swap over the entire a/c system?
The component that usually goes bad/leaks is the compressor. You should be able to swap just that & then perform an evac & recharge of the system.

Unless there are other leaking components.......then swap away. :D
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

well, see that's what i don't know. i bought my 94 and the air hasn't worked since we've had it. one of the lines that runs off of or into the aluminum canister (is that the condensor?) is sheared right off.

i do recall reading somewhere that if a system hasn't worked in quite awhile that there would be a VERY good chance that the condensor & compressor would need to be replaced. i figured instead of trying to mess around with finding out what is the missing (broken) link in the system.... just swap over as much as i can.

i'm all ears though.. pleeease bestow your knowledge on me :-k

i know zero about AC

hmm.. and where can i find one of these said 'vacuum pumps' and how does one perform an evac ?

why do i feel i might be getting in over my head on this one? :-s
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

Astro4x4
I am smitten with my van

Post by Astro4x4 »

Get a pic of the sheared off line, so we know what you are talking about. I also have a working compressor off a '93 here for the taking.

ds99
I get chills without my van.

Post by ds99 »

Rob, you can replace the compressor, lines and accumulator/dryer, after you blow out the open system with air to flush any contaminents from it i.e. metal, rust, small critters. From my understanding the only reason you may want to go with a replacement comp. is that after non-use for some time the seals dry out and crack. But if you have a fairly recent comp. you can charge it with pag oil/refrigerant with stop leak and conditioner.
98 AWD Astro w/Corvette servos and shift kit,
The Watermelon
I have a shoe, and its scary...
No I wasn't in prison, just busy with kids :)

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

Astro4x4 wrote:Get a pic of the sheared off line, so we know what you are talking about. I also have a working compressor off a '93 here for the taking.
thanks!!.. somehow with you're help i might be able to get the other one working... i'll need lots of help though.. like i said i'm totally clued when it comes to AC

here's a pic...

Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

Astro4x4
I am smitten with my van

Post by Astro4x4 »

That line goes to the back of the comp right? Well, I just checked the comp I have here. It's off a '93 "W" and has both lines that are in good shape still bolted to it (includes the line you need). I'd change comp and accumulator, flush system, pull vacuum for a day, recharge oil and refridgerant and you should be good to go. Replace the o-rings at any connection you have to break as well.

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Post by v8famvan »

Rob, that large can by your hand is the accumulator.
Why you need to replace it can be found in this article.

"Accumulators are used on systems that accommodate an orifice tube to meter refrigerants into the evaporator. It is connected directly to the evaporator outlet and stores excess liquid refrigerant. Introduction of liquid refrigerant into a compressor can do serious damage. Compressors are designed to compress gas not liquid. The chief role of the accumulator is to isolate the compressor from any damaging liquid refrigerant. Accumulators, like receiver-driers, also remove debris and moisture from a system. It is a good idea to replace the accumulator each time the system is opened up for major repair and anytime moisture and/or debris is of concern. Moisture is enemy number one for your A/C system. Moisture in a system mixes with refrigerant and forms a corrosive acid. When in doubt, it may be to your advantage to change the Accumulator or receiver in your system. While this may be a temporary discomfort for your wallet, it is of long term benefit to your air conditioning system."

As stated, Moisture is the #1 enemy. It will mix with the old R12 & form hyrochloric acid, which I am sure you can deduce is bad. The oil in the newer R134a systems is hydroscopic (moisture absorbing) & will form a sludge that will cause compressor failure. Both old & new systems have a dessicant bag in the accumulator which will begin to absorb moisture as soon as it is exposed to the air. If the dessicant bag is saturated, it can come apart & go thru the compressor & damage it.

Evacuation (pulling a vacuum) is done on the system to remove any moisture from the system. Moisture cannot exist in a vacuum, it just boils off into a vapor.

Hope this helps in your 'quest' for knowledge, James.
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian

Astro95
I am smitten with my van

Post by Astro95 »

Yes, anytime you do work on an air conditioning system where it's been open or discharged completely and you don't change the receiver dryer, the o-rings on the affected components, the service valves, the orifice tube and pull a vacuum on the system you are doing a half-assed repair which will cause trouble sooner than later.

Did you snap off the compressor suction line by trying to remove a seized receiver fitting nut? I just went through that with my van. The last "technician" that changed the compressor and receiver dryer twisted the evaporator outlet tube half off. I had to go back and change all of that stuff plus clean all of the shrapnel out of the lines from the previously failed compressor.
95 Astro 4.3 4L60E 3.42 Bilsteins/Timbrens
410,000 miles and counting

65 Chevy van 90" WB 305 700R4 3.36
garage queen rescued from the crusher many years ago