Heating up

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

Topic author
Kansan
I am merely driving my van

Heating up

Post by Kansan »

Have a 1992 astro Santa fe that heats ups to 215dgs when using Ac or pulling a 18ft camper. Otherwise it always stays on 195dgs. Installed new radiator cap and thermostat to no avail. What could be wrong? New to the forum so thanks for any reply.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Heating up

Post by Smiliesafari »

It's just the result of the engine working a bit harder. If the temp is steady at 215 there's nothing to worry about.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
Kansan

Post by Kansan »

Haven't tried both at the same time, so I guess that's next.

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

Fan clutch? Cooling system flush?
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

kjay

Post by kjay »

hmmm. i've been battling engine temp issues ever since we started pulling a trailer. Historically, even on moderate temp days, the temp gauge would be close to overheating while pulling out 16' TT (prob 3k lbs loaded) on big grades like I84 up to Mt Hood. Before this season I replaced the radiator, upper/lower hoses, water pump and installed a 165 deg thermostat plus all new Dexcool. Coming back from Crater Lake heading back to WA on Hwy 97, almost had to pull over to let it cool down coming up and over the grades between Madras and Wasco while trying to maintain 45-50 mph. Std procedure is to turn on AC on big grades.

Any other suggestions? Wonder if going to 4.10's would help (other than drivability)?

2004 Astro, GU6 gears, tranny cooler installed, all fluids changed before trip (oil, tranny, diffs, tease)

Forgot to mention, lifted 4" w 245 AT's. By nature, it's a dog on hills since the bigger tires and so my thinking different gears may help. We live in Goldendale WA so pretty much any where we go, we're dealing with grades in and out of the Columbia Gorge.
Current Rigs:
'04 Astro AWD
4.3L MFI, 4L60-E, 3.42 Rear Axle w/90,000 Miles

'06 Cooper S
Supercharged 1.6L, 6 Speed Manual, Sport Suspension w/60,000 Miles

'87 Pathfinder 4WD
3.0L VG30I, 5 Speed Manual, 2" Lift w/280,000 Miles

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

4.10's would help on the hills, as would a big o'le auxillary tranny cooler...heat will kill these tranny's, keep em cool

Mmusicman
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Mmusicman »

Most likely nothing is wrong (assuming all is in proper working order) ... you may have simply exceeded the capacity of the stock cooling system while towing heavy loads with the A/C on in the heat of summer. It is quite normal for the A/C to ADD about 10-20 degrees of temperature when under load.

Here are a few things to bear in mind when trying to diagnose:

The job of the fan is to pull air at slower speeds (under 40 mph). At over 40 mph... the amount of air coming in the front of vehicle FAR exceeds the flow of what the fan can pull. rendering the fan un-effective at that point. At low speeds, a shroud is absolutely essential to allow the fan to pull across the "entire area" of the radiator and condenser. Typically when diagnosing heating issues... if you run hot at slow speeds or idling (but are fine at high speeds) .. then your fan is likely at fault. If however, you run hot at highway speeds, then your radiator, or coolant flow, is suspect. But towing in summer with the A/C on adds an extra level of work to the situation.

When you've simply exceeded the capacity of the cooling system... a larger radiator would likely be needed. Since these vans are not typically available with heavy duty towing options (with larger cooling system capacities) .. it will be hard to find a stock fitting radiator with the extra needed capacity.

The stock core thickness on the Gen 1 is 1". You used to be able to find radiators with 1 1/4" core thicknesses that would fit stock application. I don't believe they are made any longer.

Naturally, the rest of the cooling system MUST be in proper working order... proper working thermostat, clean coolant (with 50/50 mix), good flow through clean radiator, etc. But be certain you aren't losing coolant pressurized under load due to a possible head gasket leak. Combustion in the cooling system will pressurize it higher than normal, causing air gaps around cylinders that will cause additional boiling... and the extra pressure will force coolant out the overflow, reducing the effective working level of your coolant, causing the temps to rise even further. Add the scorching heat blowing through from an A/C condenser and the extra load of towing ... and you will have obvious problems.

You just need to determine if the issues are trouble with the cooling system, under what specific conditions the issues arise, or if you are just simply exceeding the capacity of the stock system under heavy duty use.

I would MOST certainly (as mentioned) ADD a transmission cooler! They are cheap and easy to install... and for towing are very necessary and worth their weight in gold. This won't really help much with your engine temps.. but it will likely be a life-saver for your transmission.

You may try a new radiator... they are pretty easy to swap out and don't cost that much either.

More gearing will certainly give you a little more needed torque to the rear wheels... taking some of the load off the engine and most certainly taking some load off the transmission... but it's affect on your engine cooling will be uncertain. You'll have more rear-wheel power.. but you'll have more rpm's too. Most vehicles that tow typically have a little more gearing.

Lastly, if you have checked everything and are certain your cooling system is in full proper working order, and believe you may have just exceeded the stock capacity... you may want to consider some custom modifications.

Good luck!
This was a solution for me... you can read my story here:
http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=102465
-
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com

AstroWill
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by AstroWill »

kjay wrote:Std procedure is to turn on AC on big grades.
Off, but yes.

This is common, some places even have signs on the highways advising you to turn off your AC.