What to buy for replacing a Catalytic Converter

Manifolds, flexpipe, catalytic converters, mufflers, hangers, piping, EGR etc.

Topic author
completetech
I finally get the smurf thing

What to buy for replacing a Catalytic Converter

Post by completetech »

So I am throwing a 420 code and after having the mechanic look it over and diagnose it he said to get a new cat. So I am looking at replacing it and looking for some suggestions.

I'm rollin a
200 Chevrolet Astro RWD

Currently I would like to get http://www.andysautosport.com/chevrolet ... 32375.html as it is a high flow supposedly and with a discount it would be $395 shipped to me. But what else would I need or should I order with it.

My other option is http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2000/c ... erter.html and the Bosal 2938-05118780 for $299 shipped. But again does this have everything I will need? Should I also purchase a new muffler also, and if so. Which one would be good for overall sound / performance for a work vehicle.

Thanks,
Nathan

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: What to buy for replacing a Catalytic Converter

Post by WoodButcher »

Second link, it's cheaper, no need to spend more for a cat. Just be sure you wont toast the cat again, a poor running engine will cook them quick.
I used a walker sound FX muffler, sounds good no drone.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

Topic author
completetech
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by completetech »

So should iI get a new muffler too or just hold off.

The van seems to be running fine so far (knock on wood). But thinking if I can get away not buying one then all the better.

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

I wouldn't if it is not needed and your happy with the van as is.
I don't believe you'll get a great improvement in power or mileage buy buying the magnaflow but the steel may be of higher quality and thickness meaning longevity.
I bought a Y-pipe cat from Napa for my '97 back in '05 and just the last couple years I get the po420 code on the highway every so often but I clear it with my ultra-gauge and it won't come back until I drive with the same pedal again. I think I have an issue with the spider as she seems to run too rich.
I've gone through emissions testing here in CT twice successfully since this started happening.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)