Y pipe for V8 swap? what do I get if off of

Manifolds, flexpipe, catalytic converters, mufflers, hangers, piping, EGR etc.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Y pipe for V8 swap? what do I get if off of

Post by markmitchinnh »

I am doing a V8 swap and I searched on this site for what vehicle do I get the Y pipe from? I am buying a new one so I need to know what truck/car did you get your from. My van will look as stock as possible and will have stock manifolds from a truck.
And the rest of the exhaust is stock astro except for the Muffler which is in the stock location. Thanks Mark
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Re: Y pipe for V8 swap? what do I get if off of

Post by Kidhauler »

If your not using headers then the stock Astro y pipe will hook up. We did that when we swapped the v8 for Canadavan when he was on here. But I would think any y pipe from a v8 vehicle that puts the exhaust down the righ side would work if you wanted to get a larger diameter pipe.

When we did the swap we hooked up the right side and to the cat then the left side just needed a little persuasion but not much to clear the flange bolts.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

last V8 swap I did the astro pipe did not come close to the truck manifolds. I think I am gonna use a 1990 1500 chevy truck y-pipe. I just wanted confirmation before I ordered a new one from rock auto.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.

icebrrg3rd
I am smitten with my van

Post by icebrrg3rd »

Mark, I think you need the right manifold off a G-20 van (early 90's), that has a "N" stamped on it, that will get you a manifold that is pointed in almost the same direction as the Astro V-6 manifold. That will allow you to use the stock Astro "Y" pipe with just minor flaring of the collector pipe. As for a 1500 "Y" pipe, since I have a '91 Silverado as my donor, I also have the "Y" pipe from it, it appears to be similar to the Astro's. The only thing is I don't know if there will be any clearance issues because it does point in a slightly different direction coming off the engine. It does run down the right side of the vehicle, with the left side coming to the right side under the tranny. I'll be finding out in a month or so if it works...

-Andrew

edited-I don't know about the left manifold, I just have notes about the right manifold coming from a G-20 van. But for me it's now a non-issue, because I'm planning on using the Silverado's exhaust along with it's engine.
81 Yamaha Maxim XJ650, Black & Green, 64k miles
83 Yamaha Venture 1200cc, White, 74k miles
91 Chevy Astro 2WD, 4.3L, Maroon, 229k miles
00 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.8L, Blue, 145k miles

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

I looked at pictures on rock auto and the 90 1500 looks like it runs down the passenger side just like the Astro. That is where I got the idea. My exhaust manifolds come from the 97 truck I pulled the engine from. I will possibly have to buy a Y pipe locally and trial fit it and then return it lol. Thanks for the info, Mark