cat replacement?

Manifolds, flexpipe, catalytic converters, mufflers, hangers, piping, EGR etc.

Topic author
bscoffey
I am merely driving my van

cat replacement?

Post by bscoffey »

hi guys,
I think i have a cat going bad on my 2001 astro. I have a bad smell after getting on it heavy. Do i need to replace it with oem or can I go with a aftermarket high flow unit? I called my local shop and was given a quote of 200.00 each ( it has a small in front of a large).I can buy the whole thing from the maifold to the muffler for 280.00.Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan

skippy
I sleep in my van

Re: cat replacement?

Post by skippy »

yes you can , most guys here went with the high flow cat . magnaflow makes them as well as many other companies.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Topic author
bscoffey

Post by bscoffey »

skippy wrote:yes you can , most guys here went with the high flow cat . magnaflow makes them as well as many other companies.
This won't send a code ? I was told by a muffler shop that it wouldn't pass emissions.

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

the only thing in the exhaust system that would cause a code would be the o2 sensors . as far as passing inspection , even if your in a state that has the sniff test i highly doubt a bigger cat would make you fail . now a bad or clogged cat would defenatly make you fail emmisions testing.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Topic author
bscoffey

Post by bscoffey »

skippy wrote:the only thing in the exhaust system that would cause a code would be the o2 sensors . as far as passing inspection , even if your in a state that has the sniff test i highly doubt a bigger cat would make you fail . now a bad or clogged cat would defenatly make you fail emmisions testing.
Can I eliminate both the small and the large cat for the free flow one cat?