Bad Cat!

Manifolds, flexpipe, catalytic converters, mufflers, hangers, piping, EGR etc.

Topic author
potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Bad Cat!

Post by potskie »

What does a catalytic converter where the insides have come loose sound like???

I've got a loud marbles in a coffee can sound comming from what appears to be the pass side mid van. There for a few seconds when I start the van and then for a sec whenever I get on the throttle and when I hit a large bump also sometimes when stopping. I've also noticed the van becoming lethargic and yesterday it threw a P0300 ( unspecified miss if I'm not mistaken)
Does this sound like it could be the cat crapping out and the guts coming loose??
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Bad Cat!

Post by kings-x59 »

that's pretty much what a disintigrated cat sounds like. Get under the van and rap on the cat with your fist, or a rubber mallet (when it's cool obviously) If you get the marbles in a can sound, the honeycomb inside has broken apart.
the code I don't know about. My manual shows P0300 engine misfire, but I don't know if it's the cat causing it. A broken up cat will back up the exhaust and make it sluggish (or worse).
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Just as Kings said hit it with your fist, if it rattles > its toast. Plus if it is the original cat change it at 100k for a Free-er flowing performance cat. Do Not use the Catco brand, they are cheap low quality restrictive crap, that will only last for one smog check, you will have to replace it again for next time.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

SoCalli V8 wrote:Just as Kings said hit it with your fist, if it rattles > its toast. Plus if it is the original cat change it at 100k for a Free-er flowing performance cat. Do Not use the Catco brand, they are cheap low quality restrictive crap, that will only last for one smog check, you will have to replace it again for next time.
Idea's for a replacement cat??.Ballpark on costs??.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

mikedamech
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by mikedamech »

Some converters have pellets coated with Platinum, palladium and rhodium. So pounding on one of these will rattle anyway.
98 Astro with a 95 LT1
94 Astro stock w/Flo master.

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

I recommend fitting a 3 inch in and out Magnaflow Hi Flow cat normally fitted to a 454 motor.

I have this size cat on my 2.3 turbo 4 cyl Merkur XR4TI daily performance driver and on my V8 Astro also.

Both have custom mandrel bend exhaust systems.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso

meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Post by meetthespeakers »

I purchased a 3" High Flow Magnaflow cat and I was driving around getting estimates at doing my custom exhaust with a magnaflow muffler as well. Midas wanted $225 to do the cat, and then another $500 to do a catback....Yea.... Need to find someone to do it on the side, or back to the original plan of me doing it myself. It might be cheaper on a 2wd maybe since there is more room in that area? (Torsion Bars make it look like a tight fit to monkey around).
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Try another shop. Those guys are trying to hose you. I had my cat replaced with a hi-flow cat, flowmaster 40 and 2 1/2" pipe from the cat all the way back. Midas, coincidentally, did for me for about $320 plus tax.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Who ever you choose.... just ask them are you gonna weld in manderal bends? OR > "Crunch-Bend" my Exhaust system? ....

If they answer we are gonna bend-up your exhaust system, then > WALK AWAY....!

You wanna have "manderal bends" that are welded in, for a performance upgrade.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I replaced my cat for that reason. Inside came loose and it rattled. I welded it in myself. Cost: $140.00. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

I started welding my exhaust last night, I did from the flange (catback) to the rear of the muffler. I will be putting on the new rear bumper that the exhaust will be routed out tonight. Has anyone replaced a cat on an AWD? Any pointers would be great, the torsion bar is right in the way, and I'm not sure if you can just unbolt the y-pipe and it will slide out... Damn you once again AWD!

I will most likely end up doing most of the exhaust myself. It is rewarding, just damn hot outside! And it would be nice to have a lift too. :yellin:

meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Okay I ended up welding the catback all together and routing it out the new rear bumper myself. My question is what is the best way to install the Magnaflow Cat if I do it myself. My problem is the AWD and the torsion bar that seems to be right in the middle of the cat. Would it be best to unbolt the Y-Pipe and cut it out and weld in this puppy? I just didn't know if it was possible to take the y-pipe out with the torsion bar in place and I don't want to find out the hard way. Any help much appreciated guys. :cheers:

astrogus
I am smitten with my van

Post by astrogus »

I just got a Magnaflow cat welded in last week at a local muffler shop. With the Magnaflow cat included and installed $150 out the door. But then you gotta keep in mind that the shops get $80 for the old cat, Around here they do atleast.
1997 Astro LS 152k