Magnaflow muffler

Manifolds, flexpipe, catalytic converters, mufflers, hangers, piping, EGR etc.

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Magnaflow muffler

Post by meetthespeakers »

Hey guys, I was curious of those with a Magnaflow muffler how you liked them? I currently have a Gibson catback, but once I get my new rear bumper on I am gonna have to re-route the exhaust out that. I ordered a high flow Magnaflow Cat, and now I am thinking about picking up this muffler:

My experience with the Gibson catback for the most part was great. Great fit, bolts right up, has a great idle tone. My only beef with it lately is droning on the highway at 65-75mph. I think this really came about after I added my intake. Anyway, I am hoping the Magnaflow muffler will be the same "loudness" but without the droning? Thoughts?

By the way, the muffler is not a bad price of $78 free shipping. So I figured I would weld in the cat, weld in the new muffler, bend up some pipe, and add a nice dual tip...
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

stomp13
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Magnaflow muffler

Post by stomp13 »

I've had a magnaflow exhaust before, not on the 4.3L but it sounded very good. I think you should be happy with it. By the way, what will you be doing with the old Gibson cat-back?
99 Astro LS AWD. 200k. Overlands 2inch lift. No name 29inch LT tires.

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Well I am torn right now on what to do. I am debating whether to just cut the muffler out and weld in this new magnaflow one and see how it sounds. That would be the cheaper route instead of having someone doing a custom catback for it. If I do end up liking the magnaflow muffler I will probably sell just the gibson muffler... it's funny, I also have a flowmaster 40's series sitting in the shed too. I hate wasting money on experimenting.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

I've got a flowmaster 40 on my '89. It drones pretty bad.
I had a magnaflow on one of my jeeps a while back..droned about the same as the flowmaster.
I'm thinking now about ditching the flowmaster and stuffing the biggest stock muffler under there I can fit. The noise is annoying me now. My age must be catching up with me.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

I'm getting old too, and I'm going on 27. I love a great sounding exhaust, I just hate the drone when you can't carry a conversation with a passenger without having to yell. Anyway, I'll let you guys know how it goes. I will be most likely adding the cat, and rerouting the exhaust to the rear bumper with a new tip. After I see how that sounds I'll figure out what I want to do.

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Okay, I finally got the Magnaflow muffler welded up last Friday. Good lord... It is a beast for sure. Sounds great at idle, and cruising. Drones a little to much at cruising, and it is just obnoxious at W.O.T. If it weren't for the W.O.T. I would probably keep the muffler. It just sounds way to ricey. :dunce: I am actually embarrased to floor it, it's like a small prop plane taking off. So the search continues. I will probably put the Gibson muffler back on, and get the magnaflow high flow cat on and see if that gives the Gibson catback a deeper tone. :whistle:

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

My flowmaster doesn't sound ricey at all, but man it drones. I can tell when I'm right at 55 mph, it rattles my fillings.
I hear ya brotha...unless I'm doing 55. If I could kill the drone inside and retain the meaty sound outside I'd be a happy camper. I love it when I get up next to another truck with a butch exhaust on the highway. The harmonics created are like a symphony to me. And..then the guy in the ford Excuse gets all offended that I'm stealing his thunder in a rusty old astro and skirts off.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Hotroder383
I get chills without my van.

Post by Hotroder383 »

I dont know about the high flow cat but I had a Moroso sprial flow 3"in an out muffler on my 93 and it sounded great. Now keep in mind it has stock exhaust all the way back to muffler and just a 3" tail pipe. Another thing to keep in mind is mufflar placement will also affect sound.The shorter your tail pipe the deeper the rumble I have noticed. So before you throw away the muffler put on a test pipe an play with where you want the mufflar for sound.
93 GMC Safari SOLD stilll see her drivein around every so often =/

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

I know what you mean by "dumping" the exhaust. But I just installed my rear bumper, and it has provisions for the exhaust to exit there. I am not completly bummed since it was only $70 and I got to spend a few hours with my welder piecing all the exhaust together and really seeing what I could do. But this Saturday I will weld back in the Gibson muffler, and bend the rest of the exhaust to exit out the rear. Then maybe in a week or two get the Cat on there.

I am tempted to try a Flowmaster delta 50 on though... but kind of pricey.

k120189
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by k120189 »

wanna sell any of your mufflers that you are not using? I'm gonna start doing a real exhaust on my van some time soon and the thrush pos i have on there just isn't gonna cut it.

--->2000 RWD 4.3L/4L60E ,3.43 gears.exhaust and throttle body mods.
...gone =(...

-->1998 kia sportage 3 inch lift 30 inch tires under repairs

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

k120189, I have the Magnaflow muffler that was on the car for a week that is polished and looks brand new. And then I also have a 40 series Flowmaster 3" in 2- 2 1/2" out that I never got to try, but that one has been sitting in my shed for a while. If you want either one make me an offer through pm. Or if you want to try both I'll get them out cheaper. :cheers: