Dynomax Headers for 4.3l

Manifolds, flexpipe, catalytic converters, mufflers, hangers, piping, EGR etc.

Topic author
MD/Astro\CL
I am smitten with my van

Dynomax Headers for 4.3l

Post by MD/Astro\CL »

I found these looking around for more van mods and think they might be my next project. Does anyone have these on their van? The picture shows headers for a V8 but the description says it's for the 4.3 engine, I'm hoping the picture is just a generic one like they usually use for parts pics.
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/searc ... 5599&Nty=1

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Re: Dynomax Headers for 4.3l

Post by sfeaver »

Its for the 262 V8 from what I can see..

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

I just ran the search on my '89 for headers and it gave me the same product. It tells me "this product fits" '89 4 cyl. and '89 6 cyl.
something's not right with their site there. You should probably talk to a live person there before you purchase.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
MD/Astro\CL
I am smitten with my van

Post by MD/Astro\CL »

I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow and ask. So if these don't fit are there any headers that will fit on a 95' 2wd with out any crazy modifications?

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

find anything out on this?
I'd love to have a set of headers on my 4.3.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve

Topic author
MD/Astro\CL
I am smitten with my van

Post by MD/Astro\CL »

I didnt get a chance to call but I tried the online help chat thing on the website and they said that it does fit the 4.3 with out any modifications. I'm gonna wait till I actually talk to someone over the phone before I buy them though

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

The usual things I've seen about headers on the site here are minor clearance issues that require some grinding, spark plug wire boots that have to be changed from straight to angled or 90 degree and excess heat radiated to the starter solenoid.
some of this may be from the folks that have done the V8 swap though and may not apply to the 4.3.
Perhaps on of the other members can shed some light on this.

[edit] I just looked at that site again and noticed their disclaimer saying these were for racing only (there's a laugh) and basically not street legal. If the O2 sensor(s) were all in place, I wonder why that would be?

name's Steve

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

MD-I think headers for a 4.3 would only be effective in the higher RPM ranges that are rarely used for street driving.That is compounded by the small c.i. of a 4.3 as well.Of course that is only my opinion. :-k :-k
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

well i had to phone walker today about some other parts today and this came to mind while i was talking to them i was quickly informed that a header for the 4.3 v6 does NOT exsist. they have some listed for chevy blocks around 262 cid but they are all V8s
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Topic author
MD/Astro\CL
I am smitten with my van

Post by MD/Astro\CL »

That sucks that these won't work, I'm still determined to find something though, sometime this week I'm gonna go in to a header shop by my work and see if they could make anything. The shops called Gebler Headers, apparently they're really good.

Topic author
MD/Astro\CL
I am smitten with my van

Post by MD/Astro\CL »

So I finally called today and they swear that it will work, I figure if they dont fit I'll just return em. They gave me a pretty good discount too, shipping and handling included it was $270. Now to figure out how I'm gonna do this with my exhaust... :-k

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Was this Gebler Headers you talked to, or autopartswarehouse ?

name's Steve

Topic author
MD/Astro\CL
I am smitten with my van

Post by MD/Astro\CL »

Autoparts warehouse

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

if it doesn't fit will you have to pay the shipping to you and back or will they cover it because you will be sending them back if i can scan the page of this dynomax catalog and post it i will, but it says 265-400 cid blocks and the manufactuerer told me it does not exsist for a v6...

lol my boss asked me what i was doing while i was in his office using his scanner i told him i was triing to email a customer a page of the catalog and he said good man lol anyways
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Topic author
MD/Astro\CL
I am smitten with my van

Post by MD/Astro\CL »

Yeah, they are for a V8, they came in today. I'm a little pissed but they are paying for everything since it is their mess up. I asked two different people if it would work for a V6 and they assured me that they would. That was some fast shipping though, ordered them yesterday afternoon and they were delivered in less than a day and they are nice lookin headers. Too bad they dont work! Guess I will look in to calling Gebler Headers tomorrow about what they can do.