Magnaflow Direct Fit Catalytic Convertor

Manifolds, flexpipe, catalytic converters, mufflers, hangers, piping, EGR etc.

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Magnaflow Direct Fit Catalytic Convertor

Post by meetthespeakers »

Hi guys, on my quest to get a little more power out of the stro I was looking at getting the Magnaflow Direct Fit Catalytic Convertor. 2 things, has anyone tried it, and does anyone know the differences in exhaust between 2wd and AWD? All of the "Y" Pipes say they fit:

1996-1999: 6Cyl 4.3L "Gas, FI, Vin "W", 262, CPI, L35" Base
1996-1999: 6Cyl 4.3L "Gas, FI, Vin "W", 262, CPI, L35" LS
1996-1999: 6Cyl 4.3L "Gas, FI, Vin "W", 262, CPI, L35" LT
All, Except AWD

Does anyone know why, I can't find anything that says it will fit AWD?

1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Re: Magnaflow Direct Fit Catalytic Convertor

Anyone? Is it better just to get a universal high flow magnaflow cat and weld that in? Will that wake up the exhaust a little bit, and give a little more grunt?

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

I have the Magnaflow universal cat on my 89. I clamped it into place, there was enough stub pipe on each end for that.
Can't say whether it'll work on an AWD, though, as mine is a 2wd. My 89 didn't have a cat when I bought it and I ran it awhile like that after I swapped in the V8. But the exhaust system had a resonance that buzzed the cab at certain speeds so I installed the cat hoping that it would reduce or eliminate that. The cat really knocked out the buzzing and made the exhaust smell nicer, too.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Hey dude ... take one look under a late 90s 2wd and you will see there is a hell of a lot more space up front than our AWD. Proceed with caution before spending good money on your shineys :)

I was going to go get headers but the old board crashed and was "taken" over by someone and I did not write down the part number someone posted for headers for AWD ... it took a LONG time for someone with the knowledge to post and now it is lost :( :( :(

If in your quest you find out which headers can be put in our AWD let me know. Thanks dude!
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

I'm not even dreaming of headers yet. I was hoping to get something to replace the stock cat. For those that did replace it, was it worth it, as far as power? Does it wake up the exhaust more? Right now it's looking like the best bet is just gonna be to get universal magnaflow cat... Or spend my money else where.

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

It did for me - see my weblinky for the DynoMax stuff I used. Way better! I did the muffler first than a few months later the CAT so I can feel the difference from each. I used a larger CAT meant for a 7.4L V8 :) instant hi-flow.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

MD/Astro\CL
I am smitten with my van

Post by MD/Astro\CL »

Can't tell you if the Magnaflow direct fit cat will work on your AWD but I have it on my RWD and it does give it quite a bit more power and made my Flowmaster muffler sound more mellow and throaty. It really sounds like a V8, I had the Flowmaster muffler on for about 2 years before I put the cat on so I could easily tell the performance differences.