Stalling

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO HOW YOUR VAN RUNS. IF IT BOGS, HESITATES, BACKFIRES OR JUST PLAIN RUNS LIKE CRAP...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR IT!

Topic author
dobaroy
I am smitten with my van

Stalling

Post by dobaroy »

We have a 99 Astro which generally runs fine but now lately the motor seems to want to cut out as you are driving along and just yesterday, it actually stalled but after about 20 minutes it fired right up and ran fine. This does not happen all the time, not sure what to look for, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Stalling

Post by Smiliesafari »

How long has it been since the fuel filter was changed? How old is the fuel pump?
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I agree with the possibility of it being the fuel pump. My old 98 would do the same thing. Sometimes it would restart itself before coasting to a stop. Finally put a pressure gauge on it and monitored and found pressure dropping to 0.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
dobaroy
I am smitten with my van

Post by dobaroy »

Thanks guys for the replies. The fuel filter is not too old but I did suspect maybe it could be the pump. We are planning to get one from Rock Auto.

Also, the fuel gauge is not working on the Astro, and they say there is a part that should be replaced same time as the pump to fix the fuel gauge problem. What part would that be?

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

I had the job of putting the fuel pump and fuel gauge sender in the tank at the GM Janesville assy plant at one time. If you got behind and hurried to catch up sometimes the arm on the fuel gauge sender would get jammed a bit and put pressure on the grid it rubs along casing a unsteady signal. This usually was more likely to cause the gauge to jump instead of not work at all tho. At any case, when you are changing the pump, be careful when putting the assembly back in the tank so as to not cause that problem.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

Topic author
dobaroy
I am smitten with my van

Post by dobaroy »

Thanks for the advice, actually this gauge constantly reads almost full. We will take our time when we are putting it together and it will be nice to have the gauge working again.

Topic author
dobaroy
I am smitten with my van

Post by dobaroy »

Replaced the fuel pump and filter, ran fine for a few days but it quit again today. Anybody with any further suggestions, would appreciate hearing from you. :cry:

Topic author
dobaroy
I am smitten with my van

Post by dobaroy »

We found that the coil was arcing so replaced that . . . will have to see what happens now.