95 Safari fuel tank/ lines conections...

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO HOW YOUR VAN RUNS. IF IT BOGS, HESITATES, BACKFIRES OR JUST PLAIN RUNS LIKE CRAP...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR IT!

Topic author
Gorwoc
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

95 Safari fuel tank/ lines conections...

Post by Gorwoc »

Hey folks,
I have a 95 with fuel injection. I've just had my fuel pump poop out and in replacing it I found EVERYTHING was rusted to crap. So I'm replacing it all from the engine back. My questions is the the connections at the tank and in general. The connections on my tank are 2 rubber vent lines and 2 flared connections (3/8in and 1/4in) with o-rings. I've gotten the lines I need that are the same GM number as my 95 from a salvaged 91 but it's carburated and not under the same pressures as FI lines and the lines end at the tank in a rubber hose and band clamp. Mine has the vent fittings but the feed and return lines are flared connections. Can I use reinforced rubber fuel line from the tank to the steel lines and secure them with band clamps or do I really need the flex line flared fittings because of the pressure (something like 126psi?)? And it's been really, really hard to get the steel lines and flex lines from anywhere so I turned to the salvage yard. Here in Texas the 91 was clean and pretty.., unlike my Wisconsin 95. Anyone else experiencing this problem of fuel line availability? And did I make any sense above? Thanks.

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: 95 Safari fuel tank/ lines conections...

Post by 1Gary »

There is rubber hose that is known as fuel injection hose you can get from your local auto parts store.Also there is hose clamps the isn't the kind the tightens from the side.That doesn't apply pressure all around the hose.You want either a clamp style the you close up by crimping the clamp or the style that has a center screw that applies pressure all around the hose.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: 95 Safari fuel tank/ lines conections...

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The 91 you got parts from wasn't carb'd unless someone swapped and engine in there. It was probably TBI which means the system only had about 12 - 15 psi. Your 95 runs between 50 - 60 psi. I would be very careful running regular hose. Make sure you double flare the steel line where the fuel injection hose connects to make sure it doesn't blow off. Last lines I bought was 5 years ago and they were available then. Not sure about now.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy