replaced engine and now what?

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO HOW YOUR VAN RUNS. IF IT BOGS, HESITATES, BACKFIRES OR JUST PLAIN RUNS LIKE CRAP...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR IT!

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

replaced engine and now what?

Post by markmitchinnh »

Engine starts runs kinda rough then spits sputters then dies, if I give it gas it bogs, idles high, backfires through TBI when trying to start. I re-tightened intake bolts I could get to. Double checked all vacuum lines can't seem to figure this out. Any ideas are welcomed. I did notice the smallest wire from the starter is broken and will fix it Wednesday but I don't believe its the cause but then again?
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: replaced engine and now what?

Post by doyoulikeithere »

dont know if they will work but heres a couple idears...
Have you had it running yet? If it wasn't already, unplug the battery for 5 minutes to clear the computer back to scratch.
double check mechanical timing of distributor to engine, and all the wires in the right order to the right plugs.
Look for places where those wires could arc. Make sure it has enough good quality gas in the tank, specially if its been sitting a long time.
loosen the distributor a bit so you could try it in a few different spots to get it running enough to put a light on it.
try again and Get back to us .
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

sounds like your timing is off by a tooth .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

I will check all of the things you guys mentioned tomorrow. Thank You for your help.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012