rough idle and misfiring

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO HOW YOUR VAN RUNS. IF IT BOGS, HESITATES, BACKFIRES OR JUST PLAIN RUNS LIKE CRAP...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR IT!

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: rough idle and misfiring

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

1Gary wrote:Just a thought.Take the O2 sensor and temporary remove it.Run the engine with it off to see if it improves the idle.If it does,then the O2 sensor is bad.
Just to clarify. The 1996+ vans have 3 or 4 $100+ O2 sensors. Try not to break them! :D
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
DSkidds
I am merely driving my van

Post by DSkidds »

well i cleaned the EGR Valve, bought the screen gasket too. the valve didn't stick at all. it was not even that dirty of carbon.
after i cleaned it my check engine light turned off. (this was 4 days ago Feb 9th) and it came back on today (Feb 13th)

it still misfires, and continue to run rough.

my taxes are coming soon to im buying
AC Delco cap/rotor. if thats not it then im also buying a new ignition control module too
1999 Chevy Astro Custom Craft
Cherry Bomb Glasspack (27' inch with 3' inch O.D and 3' I.D)
Spectre Air Filter
Stampede Bug Deflector
MTX Thunderbird speakers

cars owned:

(shit cruiser) 1991 Mazda 2.2 Lt 5-speed 626 146k-154k
(The Lay-Z Boy) 1993 Buick Roadmaster 5.7 350
(after i donated my mazda due to problems i drove the Buick for 3 months, then i got the van as a Christmas gift.

keith

Post by keith »

hi so did it help to go with AcDelco parts ?? Having the same problems with my 2000 astro 4.3l

irocblu

Post by irocblu »

Got a 2000 also my fault is this. Engine starts no problem yet has a poor idle. Engine runs strong but this idle sucks. I have a new engine with all this new with in 5 mons. Distributor comply, wires, coil and plugs. Fuel pump assy, filter, spider assy(injector mpi conversion) and clean TBody and IAC, also clean check EGR assy it passed. No codes and fuel pressure is over 60psi. I think it idles low just a little but it sure feels little like a misfire. If you feel ex at tailpipe you will know what I mean, Any thoughts?

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Check the upper bushing in the distributor. My '96 had the same bad idle. A new distributor solved the problem.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle