little help troubleshooting issues with van running

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO HOW YOUR VAN RUNS. IF IT BOGS, HESITATES, BACKFIRES OR JUST PLAIN RUNS LIKE CRAP...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR IT!

Topic author
completetech
I finally get the smurf thing

little help troubleshooting issues with van running

Post by completetech »

so for a couple of weeks now my 1999 Astro AWD has been running crazy. I'll be driving it and all of a sudden it acts like it wants to die. sort of a choking almost. I can mash down on the gas but it still is acting like it is choking. I did notice that when this first started to happen that the air intake hose/tube/whatever you want to call it (off the back of the air filter into the TB) was super loose, so I tightened it up. It has never died on me until two days ago. then in the worst possible place, it died. of course thats how it always goes. Anyhow it would not restart, until I left it alone for about 10-15 minutes. then it was fine to run. still wanted to at first act like it wanted to stall out but it still ran. mashed on the gas a few times and then she just automagically started working. half way decent. then 5 mile down the road, if that. Same thing wanted to stall.

Check engine light has been on this entire time since the first problem weeks ago. Just havent checked it. come to think of it I am not even sure of the pin out to pull them myself.

Anyhow I guess after that long winded explanation I am hoping for some ideas on what to check or look for. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

chevymaher
I get chills without my van.

Re: little help troubleshooting issues with van running

Post by chevymaher »

Sounds like a gas issue.Check to see if the fuel filter old looking and needs replaced.Then check and see what fuel pressure looks like.A pic of that hose that was loose may help.There a couple back there on mine.
Image90 astro parts van gone.94 safari SLE.68 chevelle SS clone.

Topic author
completetech

Post by completetech »

Well as much as I drive I have not filled up at the same gas station n months. Also I did put in treatments 4 that as well. The hose was the main tb intake hose off the air filter.

The way it "feels" to me when pressing on the gas pedal, when it acts like this. It seems like a plugged or messed up cat.?.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

You can't pull OBDII codes yourself; You need a scanner. I had very similar symptoms as you, like that it would run OK after waiting 15 mins, and it was an ignition timing problem (distributor).

Topic author
completetech

Post by completetech »

Did it seem as though it was "plugged"? That's what it feels pour to me that the cat is plugged. Because of how it seems when I try to floor it and the way it is choking, but then at idle it seems somewhat ok.

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Yes exactly. The engine was bogging no matter how much throttle I gave.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Definitely need to pull the code. If you go to your local auto parts store (like autozone) they may pull the code for you for free. Once you get the code, we can diagnose further. Look at renting or buying a fuel pressure tester. Pressure needs to be around 60 psi.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

If it ends up being a fuel pump issue,plan it out to have run the van to a near empty tank.Gas's wt is very heavy to drop the tank.So just keep a 1/4 of a tank in it until you figure it out.Also if you need to replace the pump,Delco only pumps have a proven to last.Don't let anyone talk you out out of spending a little more.S.O.P. is the pump and filter at the same time.

You could pull the dog house and look at it in the dark to see if there is any arcing from the plug wires or dizzy cap.Here again Delco only for plugs,wires,cap and rotor.

Please don't misunderstand.I am not endorsing the Delco brand name so to speak.In the history of the Astro sites,it have been the brand over and over again that works.

As everyone has said,pull the code(s) and do a fuel pressure test.

There is one other common issue.It is a carbon up EGR valve.But that is at idle normally.If that is the code or one of them,it is a matter of you taking it off and cleaning the chucks of carbon out of it that are holding it open and on the install using a screen gasket from the help section of your local parts store.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

kamenz
I get chills without my van.

Post by kamenz »

I would start with replacing the fuel filter,specially if you put some cleaner in your tank.Sea-foam is known to plug up the filter.Also it is a cheap fix and won't hurt.
Kamenz

1998 Astro AWD Conversion

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

i vote pull apart the MAP and clean it..

see my 2nd post in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5013
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*