Pulley / Belt change?

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO HOW YOUR VAN RUNS. IF IT BOGS, HESITATES, BACKFIRES OR JUST PLAIN RUNS LIKE CRAP...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR IT!

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Pulley / Belt change?

Post by phr1$k37 »

Hi folks!

Need a quick opinion on pulleys and belt. I think I am due at 150K kms. I know some of you might say yours has gone longer but I have had some squealing for some time now. The squealing noise started about two years go and would show up sometimes only - I thought maybe just when cold / damp. But now it it is here 24/7. The belt may be okay but I figured I should just change it. I think it is one of the pulleys that needs replacement because the noise MAY go away when I turn some hard corning turns then it comes back. I did a no no ... I took WD40 and squirted a bit on the alternator pulley and then I think it is the tension-pulley (just right of the clutch fan, under the oil filler) and the noise was gone for a bit but now it sounds even more awful hah ha.

So if I am going to be changing a few pulleys is it worth while to spend some money and buy performance pulleys? Ie Jet performance pulleys?
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Re: Pulley / Belt change?

Post by Kabey's Van »

It might just be your tensioner that has gotten weak and is not applying proper tension on the belt.
Pick up a cricket gauge and check your belt tension. They are hard to find and you may get some blank stares at the parts counter, but they do exsist.
I know this may sound like a very wrong thing to do, but take a very small amout of sunlight dish soap and apply it to the belt, evenly. If the squealing stops after a period of time it would be my quess your tensioner needs replaceing.
Surpintine belts tighten as they get warm.
If it used to stop after a period of time and now it doesn't I would suspect the tensioner has failed to the point where it is unefective.
My guess is when you were in a turn the p/s pump was under load, it would take what ever slack was available and stop the squealing, now that the tensioner has wore out to the point where it cannot compensate even with that extra load of the p/s pump it is now unable to maintain proper tension and squeals all the time.
Peter

Bikehauler
I am smitten with my van

Post by Bikehauler »

I would replace the belt and the tensioner pulley. The pulley is cheap and I have replaced mine 2 times in 330 000km.
The belt on my Honda Accord went at around 105,000km and it was squealing so badly I thought a bearing was gone on the tensioner or the AC.
I replaced the belt and it was fine. It is a fairly easy job and good piece of mind.
Rocke
:canuk:
No longer the proud owner of a.
1990 Astro Cargo shorty. 350 V8, roller cam, flat top pistons, roller rockers, tbi stage 2 chip, built 700r4 tranny. 3:42 open diff (3:73 posi waiting install). Now rollin on new 18's with 235/50 tires.

Delta B.C.
Canada EH!

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

take a look at the ribbed side of the belt, if the ribs are cracked it's close to done.
roughly 4 years is all they'll last. keep in mind if the serpentine belt goes, your done for the day.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Just what Kings X says.... > does your serpentine belt looked cracked on the inside?

Replace it....! Before it leaves you busted and stranded.... Don`t be cheap....!
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Oh I will replace! And with OEM belt. I will change the tension-pulley as well. Tonight I purposely cranked the steering wheel full left and right and sure enough the noise is minimized.
But I was curious - would it be worth while to put in performance pulleys?
BTW how long does it take to change the belt? It is cold out >.<
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I would be surprised if the pulleys were worn out. The two that need to be changed for sure are the tensioner and the idler pulley. Those two are a plastic material and I've seen them worn to almost nothing. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Well I think I found out where my noise is coming from ... something I said that would die about two years ago and I think it finally did ...

my alternator :(
I drove a lot of highway kms today and the battery needle just kept going lower and lower. Now I am researching on alternators.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

phr1$k37 wrote:
Oh I will replace! And with OEM belt. I will change the tension-pulley as well. Tonight I purposely cranked the steering wheel full left and right and sure enough the noise is minimized.
But I was curious - would it be worth while to put in performance pulleys?
BTW how long does it take to change the belt? It is cold out >.<
with a spring loaded idler pulley it just takes a few minutes to change. A long breaker bar and a socket to take the tension off the belt helps, but I"ve done it with a standard ratchet before...just takes more elbow grease.
route the belt around all the pulleys and do then do the idle pulley last - easier to slip the smooth side of the belt onto the pulley.
if your belt routing sticker is not still in the engine compartment, draw yourself a diagram of the belt routing before you start.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Hi! Thanks for the tips! I will use the idler tip as that sounds like a very good one! I have everything purchase and will do the work soon. Not having a vehicle is tough man :(

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

well at least your not guessing anymore.........sorry, i have nothing valuable to add.....hahahh...maybe my c-walkin' avatar will make things better.....i'm trying ok....what more do you want...hahaha
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

hhahah what a funny guy you are. Actually if anyone knows what other parts of the electrical system I should check let me know.
I be really pissed if I change the alternator and it still does not charge.
Just spent about 15 minutes idling another vehicle with booster cables to my battery for juice. I need to go to work tomorrow before I can work on this :(

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Use your digital volt meter to check battery voltage with the engine off. Then recheck with the engine running. You'll see whether the alternator is charging. You are looking for a voltage of between 13.6 and 14.2 for a properly charging alternator. \:D/

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

HI!
Yes I was hoping to do that but I could not find my voltmeter. So I simply cranked her on and with engines running I disconnected the positive cable to the battery and she shut off right away.

So unless there is a bad ground / power going from alternator to battery, it is the alternator. Or am I wrong? :(

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Some vehicles will run on the alternator, some won't. I don't know if the Astro is one of them. I have heard that disconnecting the battery while the engine is running can pop the ECM. I don't know if that's true but I wouldn't take a chance. \:D/