Rough idle, pinging, ps not working,rpm drop pushing brake

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO HOW YOUR VAN RUNS. IF IT BOGS, HESITATES, BACKFIRES OR JUST PLAIN RUNS LIKE CRAP...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR IT!

Topic author
Chuckster
I am merely driving my van

Rough idle, pinging, ps not working,rpm drop pushing brake

Post by Chuckster »

2001 Safari 120k miles. I replaced ps hoses a couple of years ago. Shortly after PS stopped working correctly. Now I'd say it hardly works at all.
Then I had a intake manifold leak about 2 years ago also. I did several things while fixing it. Replaced plugs, cap, rotor, h20 pump. PCV, filters etc. Immediately had the rough idle problem. Not horrible, just not smooth. Worse in gear idling at lights. I have noticed also that rpm drops when idling in park and I push the brake pedal. PCV rattles at idle.
Pings pretty bad if you get on it at all.
Wondered if I got a bad plug or a bad brand of plugs. Wondered if rpm is too low because maybe I didn't get the tension right on the accelerator cable. (wouldn't the computer compensate for that though?) Wondered if maybe I got the distributor in off a tooth. Again wouldn't the computer compensate for that or at least the check engine light come on?
One other weird thing... just recently after parking SOMETIMES I will get a good sized puddle of fluid. It appears as if its coming from the top of the steering box. Then sometimes , nothing.
Gets about 13.5 mpg city. That seems down about 1 mile pre manifold work.
No check engine light. Brake light on but antilock hasn't worked in years.
I drove it today with the motor cover off. It sound kind of like there is a vacuum leak although my ears are bad. I sprayed carb cleaner everywhere I thought it could be a possible leak and no change in RPM. Also when accelerating there is a whistle. Almost like a turbo would make but not as loud.
Thanks in advance

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: Rough idle, pinging, ps not working,rpm drop pushing bra

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,
You show get vacuum T fitting and a short piece of vacuum hose and a vacuum gauge. Connect it by temporarily dis connecting a vac line and connect it to one side of T fitting and fit the extra line back to the vacuum pipe where you disconnected.
Good vac should be about 17 to 21 inches as I recall.

Also, check in steering hoses fir leaks. You may also have the power steering cooler lines running behind the bumper which could leak.'
Some Astros like my 2003 AWD have a hydro boost valve for brake boost instead of a vacuum brake boost. The power steering pump has to do extra work since it must pressurize steering assist and pressurize for brake assist.

Good luck.

Take pictures, keep a note book with date and mileage and description of parts and symptoms, etc.''methodical and logical,

AP

Topic author
Chuckster

Re: Rough idle, pinging, ps not working,rpm drop pushing bra

Post by Chuckster »

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I haven't had time to follow your advice. I will post when I know more. Thanks again