poor performance on a 92

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO HOW YOUR VAN RUNS. IF IT BOGS, HESITATES, BACKFIRES OR JUST PLAIN RUNS LIKE CRAP...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR IT!

Topic author
captaincon
I am smitten with my van

poor performance on a 92

Post by captaincon »

Morning
I have only had my 92 safari a week and I had issues with it on the very first day
I bought the van of eBay this is was possibly my first mistake . When we got their the engine was cold and it started up very easy although it was idling fast but I put this down to a cold engine .I had a quick drive round the guys field and it felt ok .
As soon as I took it on the road it felt sluggish The fuel level was very low so the first stop was to fill the tank .after filling it felt a little better so I started on the 150 mile drive home .
After about 10 Mile at highway speed 65mph I had to do a over take so I floored it and it just died if I was gentle on the gas it would pick up but very slow
This went on for 100 Mile if I kept it at 65 it was happy nice and quite.
After 100 Mile it just got slower and slower untill I was crawling.
While I was waiting to be recovered I sat looking at the history file and found at 90000 Miles it had a fuel pump for poor running and a 100 Mile later it was diagnosed with a ignition fault . And a note on the invoice said if fault returns replace ignition module in distributor .the van is on 93000 now
When I started to trace the fault at home I found 3 vacuum pipes that wasn't connected and sure enough the cap and Rota are fried .and the egr valve was disconnected ( I have now made a blanking plate and fitted it )
After replacing the vacuum pipes and cleaning the cap it fired up and idled perfect .
But when I drive it the van is back to no power.
I am replacing the complete distributor and coil
Plug leads
Fuel filter
New spark plugs fitted ( old are worn but a nice brown burn on them)
I was wondering if their is any thing else I should be looking at .
Sorry it's a bit of a long story .
Also do I require a obd 1 or obd 2 fault code reader thanks

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: poor performance on a 92

Post by Captn. Crunch »

I see it got a fuel pump but it didn't say anything about a filter. Might want to throw a new one on. Cheap insurance. Good job tracking down the vacuum stuff. Try to find a diagram and make sure everything is plugged into the right spots. Change out the entire distributor. The gear on the end is a notorious fail point. Make sure your cap uses brass not aluminum contacts. Keep plugging-it will be worth it in the end!
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Topic author
captaincon
I am smitten with my van

Post by captaincon »

Thanks I have a filter on order I hope to have it sorted with the parts that are on their way .
Has anyone got a diagram of the engine vacuum lines

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Might be that a cheap fuel pump was used and it's gotten too weak to keep up with the engine. OEM fuel pumps only in these things, aftermarket ones have a history of dying early deaths.

Another thing, the ignition control module on the distributor, those things like to heat fail with age. Van will work fine when cold, then poorly when hot. Worst part is they'll test fine when pulled from the vehicle, since they are cold. My 1994 drove me nuts for a month before a fellow wrench at a parts store told me about them hot failing.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
captaincon
I am smitten with my van

Post by captaincon »

Thanks for the replys