poor performance on a 92

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO HOW YOUR VAN RUNS. IF IT BOGS, HESITATES, BACKFIRES OR JUST PLAIN RUNS LIKE CRAP...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR IT!

Topic author
captaincon
I am smitten with my van

poor performance on a 92

Post by captaincon »

Morning
I have only had my 92 safari a week and I had issues with it on the very first day
I bought the van of eBay this is was possibly my first mistake . When we got their the engine was cold and it started up very easy although it was idling fast but I put this down to a cold engine .I had a quick drive round the guys field and it felt ok .
As soon as I took it on the road it felt sluggish The fuel level was very low so the first stop was to fill the tank .after filling it felt a little better so I started on the 150 mile drive home .
After about 10 Mile at highway speed 65mph I had to do a over take so I floored it and it just died if I was gentle on the gas it would pick up but very slow
This went on for 100 Mile if I kept it at 65 it was happy nice and quite.
After 100 Mile it just got slower and slower untill I was crawling.
While I was waiting to be recovered I sat looking at the history file and found at 90000 Miles it had a fuel pump for poor running and a 100 Mile later it was diagnosed with a ignition fault . And a note on the invoice said if fault returns replace ignition module in distributor .the van is on 93000 now
When I started to trace the fault at home I found 3 vacuum pipes that wasn't connected and sure enough the cap and Rota are fried .and the egr valve was disconnected ( I have now made a blanking plate and fitted it )
After replacing the vacuum pipes and cleaning the cap it fired up and idled perfect .
But when I drive it the van is back to no power.
I am replacing the complete distributor and coil
Plug leads
Fuel filter
New spark plugs fitted ( old are worn but a nice brown burn on them)
I was wondering if their is any thing else I should be looking at .
Sorry it's a bit of a long story .
Also do I require a obd 1 or obd 2 fault code reader thanks

valley ranch
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Re: poor performance on a 92

Post by valley ranch »

Don't know if you're still around, but~ You've done what I would have suggested already. There is one thing I would do if I were you and that is run some Marvel Oil through the petrol system, at least 4oz per 10 gal. You've changed your fuel filter but a waxed or clogged injection could be preventing enough fuel getting to the cylinders, the Marvel Oil should fix that. { What color is the exhaust pipe at the tip?}

If you have found a fix for this problem, Please post what you have found and how you've fixed it.

Thank you Richard