Pulley / Belt change?

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO HOW YOUR VAN RUNS. IF IT BOGS, HESITATES, BACKFIRES OR JUST PLAIN RUNS LIKE CRAP...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR IT!

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Pulley / Belt change?

Post by phr1$k37 »

Smiliesafari wrote:Some vehicles will run on the alternator, some won't. I don't know if the Astro is one of them. I have heard that disconnecting the battery while the engine is running can pop the ECM. I don't know if that's true but I wouldn't take a chance. \:D/

WHAT THE CRAP!?
>.<
Well I pulled the cable on Sunday night and it died.
Charged battery and drove down to body shop for dry area to work on electrical stuff ... it died alright ... like bad ... thank goodness it was downhill to the shop so I coasted ^_^

Alternator, belt, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, oil change and fog light replacement all done. No squeak and battery stays at 14V or so.
I am one happy camper!

97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Well done........I know you're glad that's done. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

I have a few photos ... and I meant to do a video of the removal and installation (fast forward video) for the tech section but I forgot the tripod >.< Brilliant idea but fouled by bad weather.
She had died on the way to shop but thank God cause I got her to the downhill and I coasted the rest of the way.

I must admit the belt was no problem at all - super easy so I did not use the idler pulley tip. I just stuck my 3/4" socket wrench in the tensioner and that was that.

A tip though. I spent 30 minutes feeling out the old alternator and staring at the new alternator's mount holes. The old one was SO Tight in that I swore there was hidden bolt some where. Anyways tip ... use a pry bar and gentle pry on both sides of the alternator and it will pop out with easy.

For reference for folks wondering how long it takes to do alternator, tensioner, idler pulley and belt ... 2 hours if you pro at taking out the shroud hah ha.

97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

nwalla
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by nwalla »

Hi. This is right up the alley of the conversation you were having here. I replaced my alternator and when I put the tensioner back on, it failed and the spring broke. I replaced the tensioner and the idler pulley and now I have a really annoying squeak almost like a chirp chirp. It does not change with RPM's. It does go away after a while when you are driving it. Is this coming from my water pump?

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

holy post resurrection

I have had a similar problem i had replaced my alternator when it failed and ended up getting that chirp/squeak you speak of turned out it was the alternator i put in and ended up failing on me a couple months later
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

another good thing to check on our vans are the power steering pump bolts. They tend to back out causing slack in belt that may be causing alot of noise.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

risteff
I get chills without my van.

Post by risteff »

I'll check my power steering pump bolts. My mystery squeak is elusive. New Belt, idler, tensioner and pulley. New water pump and fan clutch. It squeaks under load when driving or when in park and revving the engine. 240,000 miles. Original alternator and power steering pump. The squeak is present with or without the A/C on. Not sure what to try next. Seems to be from the lower side of the engine, but I cannot tell if from the front or rear. I am also having transmission troubles with erratic shifting and an erratic speedometer. Such strange goings on.
Past vans: 1990 2WD SLE Safari, 1990 AWD SLE Safari, and 2000 AWD Safari SLE. Current, 2004 Astro AWD LS.

risteff
I get chills without my van.

Post by risteff »

I took a short video (sound) this morning of my mystery squeak. Not sure how to upload it though. Van was cold. Squeak was present from startup. I will check the power steering pump bolts and motor mounts this weekend, if I can, and post an update.
Past vans: 1990 2WD SLE Safari, 1990 AWD SLE Safari, and 2000 AWD Safari SLE. Current, 2004 Astro AWD LS.