electical --fuel pump

Tank, pump, filter, regulator, injectors and poppet valves etc.

Topic author
toaping
I am merely driving my van

electical --fuel pump

Post by toaping »

toaping here I have a problem with my 2005 astro van. when we have cool to cold weather in south la. the van willnot start. Ican hear the fuel pump working for 1 to 2 seconds that stops when i engage the starter. This has happened several times... Mostly when i have less than 1/4 of a tank. I can try until the battery begans to weeken. I put a full charge the battery and it fires off. Is there a relay or temp relay that allowes the engine to start? Help

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Re: electical --fuel pump

Post by Stroverlander »

Try starter fluid into airbox to see if fuel problem. If still no start, probably spark and check dist cap, rotor, plugs, wires and coil.

If fuel related, possibly the pump is too weak to build enough pressure to start but will run on lower pressure.
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Pull the doghouse and put a fuel pressure tester on the Schrader valve. You should see 52-60 psi with the key cycled on. If it's less than 50 psi, the van won't start.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Karen

Post by Karen »

There is a fuel pump relay...It is on the left hand side under the hood there is an oblong one which is for your A/C and a square one next to it that is the one. I discovered this after swapping it with one from a wrecking yard thinking it was for the ac , my car wouldn't start. I wish I could tell you I was smart enough to instantly know that was the problem. No... it was starting and ran great after priming. If you want to see an astro van fire up quick I suggest a teaspoon of lighter fluid in each bowl. LMAO Anyway Went thru all the posts here and thought it was probably the fuel pump when I was scanning parts I spied the little relay I had replaced. Switched it back with the old one and it fired right up no problem since. SO definetely check that relay before you go through all the bullshit of replacing the fuel pump.

AstroWill
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by AstroWill »

toaping wrote:toaping here I have a problem with my 2005 astro van. when we have cool to cold weather in south la. the van willnot start. Ican hear the fuel pump working for 1 to 2 seconds that stops when i engage the starter. This has happened several times... Mostly when i have less than 1/4 of a tank. I can try until the battery begans to weeken. I put a full charge the battery and it fires off. Is there a relay or temp relay that allowes the engine to start? Help
Sounds like an electrical problem.
1. Check your battery, take it to LAPS/Walmart they will test it for free.
2. If that checks out, check/clean the big wires from chassis>battery, battery>starter.
3. Check/clean/test/repair fuel pump wires/connections/grounds.