I need a good mechanics help

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO YOUR VAN NOT STARTING OR STARTING HARD IN HERE.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

I need a good mechanics help

Post by markmitchinnh »

I have a 93 S-10 4.3 with a five speed trans, This truck has always started funny kinda like it turns slow then quick then it started since I bought it two years ago. I have replaced the alternator (new) starter (used) recently tuned up and I replaced the neutral start switch (on the clutch pedal) (new) and now it started I got to the grocery store came out and I have full lights, stereo, etc and yet no start no nothing when I turn the key. I had to push it to start it and get home. Any ideas?
I am about to put dynamite in it lol.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: I need a good mechanics help

Post by 1Gary »

Yeah-my 1991 Sonoma is a 4.3 5 speed and the clutch peddle switch is almost all the way to the floor. Your slow turn over leads to ask what does the battery measure at and how does the battery grounds look??.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

battery is new also, as for the battery cabled I am not sure, I tend to think its in the steering column or the the fusable link but I have no way of testing these things. I can read wiring diagrams but thats about it when it come to electrical trouble shooting.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Mark you should have a digital meter in your tool box if you expect to swap in a 350 in any case. They are not that expensive at H/F which would be good enough for your uses. Time to pony up to trouble shooting wiring and learn how. :yawinkle:

Rochester,NY

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

lol I have one - basically I am going to tow the S-10 home and swap the engine into my Astro for the time being. The S-10 needs cab/frame mounts and a fuel leak that keeps coming back (rusted lines) So other then swapping the V6 into the astro all I will have to do is buy two snow tires and I will be back on the road. One question for you, can I use the 4x4 S-10 oil pan
or will I have to change it?

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

That I don't know.Heck,I don't know if your going to need to re-balance the engine because of you swapping from a 5 speed to a automatic.

Mark-not a big fan of driving a hard to find rust free van in the winter.

Rochester,NY

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

I agree but as luck would have it I just don't have the money to do anything else.

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Mark ANY SWAP is going to cost you money you don't have. There are very few S10 parts that swap over to these M vans. Over all I think it is a bad idea where you going to have two vehicles apart and still have nothing to drive. Fix the electrical problem Mark. That's your bottom line.

Rochester,NY

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

I think I may have figured it out- it may be the starter froze against the flexplate. I am going to yank the starter and swap another in just to verify, if it works I will by a brand new one-no more re- manufactured ones.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Ya, I would suggest trying another starter before you try anything as drastic as an engine change. I seriously doubt it is your engine at fault.

Gary, (as usual) I disagree!!
My experience has proven to me that along with hundreds of other S10 vs Astro parts: the oil pans will swap and are identical right down to the GM part number.

But, ONE IMPORTANT NOTE though. 2wd vs 4wd oil pans do not swap/fit each others applications (frame) on any Astro or S10.
For Example (regardless of astro or S10) you can not use a 2wd oil pan in a 4wd frame. It wont clear the diff.
Plus, Inside the oil pan, the oil pick up tube is different between 2wd and 4wd.

As for balance of the engine? I also looked into this and found that it is of NO concern.
Bolt the flywheel where the flexplate used to be and move along....
Its GM, not rocket science...
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

Update: I attempted to pull the starter on the S-10 and the bolts to the starter were stuck, then the positive cable to the solenoid was so badly corroded that the the bolt broke off when I attempted to remove it. I will pick up a cable and a starter tomorrow and finish it.