2003 out of Ideas PLEASE HELP

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO YOUR VAN NOT STARTING OR STARTING HARD IN HERE.

Topic author
RINNY
I get chills without my van.

2003 out of Ideas PLEASE HELP

Post by RINNY »

A week ago last Thursday I was out fishing in my 03 awd. Ran fine to the spot I was at. came back 3 hrs later and started the van. SES light started flashing but it was running. SES light would flash for about a minuet then go out for about the same time and repeat. It was running rough. I Pulled over and it was running real rough at Idle. It would smooth out quite a bit when it was under higher rpm's. Decided to go home rather than another spot and risk it not starting.
Good thing. shut it down and went in for the night. Next morning it would not start and has not started since. Had a random misfire code P0300. Took it to my guy who a few weeks ago replaced a weak coil. He could not figure it out. Have spark and good fuel pressure. Throws an anti theft code from extended cranking but that is the only reason. Took it to a chevy dealer they said the distributor was bad after spending about 12 hours on it. 300.00 later they wanted 500 for a distributor and 1 hour labor to put it in. the van is lifted 2" and it is a 30 min job because I sent the van there with no dog house radio etc. Had it towed home put the new AC delco distributor in, no luck. Next replaced the crank sensor, no luck, next replaced the ignition control module, still no luck. It cranks fine and wants to start then backfires a little and just gets further from starting. gave it a shot of either and it just backfires....................HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! I have a ton of time invested in this truck if you look in new members from last like april or june you will see I did not skimp on building it. It is back at the same chevy dealer and they are doing further diagnosis at no charge.......I should hope so!!!!!!

Mmusicman
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: 2003 out of Ideas PLEASE HELP

Post by Mmusicman »

The computers are known to go intermittent, or bad. Capacitors leak over time, especially with heat under hood, and fail. (do a google search) We have a fleet of work Astros, and had the same issues you're having. We replaced EVERYTHING, including the spider injection, and still bad. The very last thing we tried was replacing the computer, and this was the fix for us.

Also, if a different computer is used... I believe it has to be programmed to work with a different vehicle. Something about VIN numbers... I don't remember, I didn't do the work.. and I know nothing about computers. Even with the new computer, it would start and run for a few seconds, then shut down , until it was reprogrammed.

This is not a diagnosis... just something a little "further out there" to consider.

PS: Normally, when there is backfiring.. it's usually an issue of timing. There is also cam timing to consider, but that's a stretch. A bad valve can cause this too, but wouldn't stop it from running. All this is assuming your fuel pressure is good.

Hopefully, maybe it's still something simple! Poor connection somewhere, defective part, etc.

Good luck!
-
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Mmusicman wrote: Also, if a different computer is used... I believe it has to be programmed to work with a different vehicle. Something about VIN numbers... I don't remember, I didn't do the work.. and I know nothing about computers. Even with the new computer, it would start and run for a few seconds, then shut down , until it was reprogrammed.
Oh, now THAT is a useful tidbit. I keep thinking I should pick up a junkyard pull ECU from Ebay to keep as a spare. Seems it wouldn't do me much good unless I do a little prep work on it first.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

chesehd

Post by chesehd »

If the distributor really was bad I'm wondering if the gear didn't skip and screw up your timing.

You could pull it, set the engine back to #1 at TDC and reinstall.

Were the distributor cap & rotor replaced?

Age of the plugs & wires?

Is the cat clear?

Just some thoughts that came to me in 5 mins or less.

Good luck!
Ken

2003 AWD
Back in the saddle on a new horse!

A lot of money is tainted: 'Taint yours, and 'taint mine.

Topic author
RINNY

Post by RINNY »

Fuel pressure has been checked and is good
Timing has been checked and is good
wires are less than a year old
new distributor and #1 was set to Top dead center before installation and timing checks out
Catalytic converter might be an option?
ECU scans out perfect. Mmusicman were the ones you replaced scanning as they were in working order?

if the catalytic converter has too much backpressure because it is plugged or bad that might be an option?

AstroWill

Post by AstroWill »

Probably not the cat(drop the y pipe to find out), what do the plugs look like and what is the compression?

Topic author
RINNY

Post by RINNY »

Plugs were less than a year old also. Put a new set in anyway. Been cleaning them regularly through this process because they are getting fuel soaked.
Compression is good in all cylinders. Going to check for bleed down and see if there might be some carbon build up on a valve perhaps?
This is unbelievable. I will rip out that piece of %$#@ 4.3 pretty soon and build one with 260 to 300 HP!!
Only reason I have not is because I want to find out why it wont run.
I have an 04 LT I have not started lifting yet. I want to get this 03 exactly how I want it first before I start on the 04.
All the parts I have thrown at it are top quality parts, few hundred dollars worth, not too bad considering the time and$$ I have into the van. Have you seen it on the new members forum?
The entire front end is new, just have a 1.5 to 2 degree adjustment on the rear pinion angle, the 236 transfer case and some 6.6 gauge security screening for the very back. If I do the engine I will finish the underneath. It has been refurbished up to the transfer case and up to the front fenders on the sides. The real disappointment is its my fishing van and I am well into my season. Bummer.

Pretty new at astro vans lil over a year. Thought for sure some one would have the answer on here. This site is awesome!!

Mmusicman

Post by Mmusicman »

RINNY wrote:Thought for sure some one would have the answer on here...
Someone may have already posted a possible answer... 8-[

When you've exhausted ALL other attempts... this might be worth considering.
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/sy ... module-ecm
-
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com

AstroWill

Post by AstroWill »

RINNY wrote:Plugs were less than a year old also. Put a new set in anyway. Been cleaning them regularly through this process because they are getting fuel soaked.
If the plugs are fuel soaked, then they are not firing.

Does the fuel system hold pressure? If not I would pull the intake and look for fuel leaks.

Topic author
RINNY

Re: 2003 out of Ideas PLEASE HELP ( FIXED)

Post by RINNY »

Fixed. New distributor was off one tooth. moved it and it fired rite up. For future reference did not have to move oil pump keyway and it was on the mark just the other side. Rotated it counter clockwise.

AstroWill

Post by AstroWill »

Glad you got it taken care of.

Topic author
RINNY

Post by RINNY »

Thank You, Was quite a bear.