Front end tire wear

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
astrojohn
I am smitten with my van

Front end tire wear

Post by astrojohn »

I'm on my 3rd Astro/Safari, and the first two ate up tires like crazy.
I've never felt the alignment was out, because I could let go of the wheel, and it would track right down the road.
Every one, would wear the inside edge off the tire.
I'm sure if I would have had an alignment check, they would say it was out.
Is this a common problem with them, or is a good alignment going to take care of this problem.
I know they say to rotate the tires, but the front end wears so much faster than the rears. ( I could wear out 3 sets of front tires, and the rears would look very good yet. :-k

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Front end tire wear

Post by Smiliesafari »

Sounds to me like it's time for a front suspension rebuild. Both my 96 and my son's 91 had totally trashed upper control arm bushings. It's time and money well spent. Add an alignment to that. Tires are way too expensive. I just replaced the tires on my wife's Explorer. Michelins....$730.00. I almost had a heart attack. I hope they outlast the car.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Front end tire wear

Post by MountainManJoe »

Just because it tracks straight, that doesn't mean the alignment is good. Both sides could be out the same amount in opposing directions! The front tires will always wear quicker than the rear (hence rotation) due to the double wishbone suspension geometry. Stabilizer bars are supposed to help that. Make sure your all your steering and suspension joints are not sloppy.