Transmisison Filter O-ring Help needed

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Transmisison Filter O-ring Help needed

Post by Wiley »

I saw Reilly had a problem getting his o-ring in and used some pvc pipe. Homedepot is too far to bike, and I dont think it would help much as I have used a few items close to size and feel I am only going to damage the oring. so I need help asap. This job is turning into a nightmare for such an easy job.

This is for my 2004 AWD Astro, and I have the Duralast filter kit TF351

I picked up the pick tools recommended elsewhere, but with these from the begging I never got an "o-ring" out, I got small pieces of rubber which took hours to get everything out of there. Now I cant get the new o-ring in and don't want to damage it. Simply putting the o-ring on the filter and trying to use that to get it in simply pushed the oring down the spout too far, accomplishing nothing.

1st question, where the o-ring goes: I cant get a very good pic, Just to make sure there is not part of the o-ring still in there, I have read there is a lip inside the tube where the o-ring goes. So it almost looks and feels like an inverted ring, which makes sense to me, this is what i have inside and I believe its supposed to be like that. I want to make sure I should not be breaking out any metal, as it does not seem a simple as driving a pick under metal to crush it inwards, but I also dont want to try too hard and damage anything permanent. Anyone have a good pick? or any tips on wtf to do, I am ready to burn my van. Due to how it came out I suspect it is either the original factory oring or something else may have been used, as again I never got any metal out (I have 100,000 miles now).

Its tough to tell the pics, the dark circle looks like it could be remnants of an oring, but i dont think it is.

2nd question: How bad would it be to try and fix the filter without the o-ring (assuming I could even get it to stay) so I can drive to work each day this week until I figure this out, I am planning on doing a poor mans flush in a month anyway if this ever gets resolved. Its not a short drive, 45 min 1 way btw.

Thanks for any help
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

okie1
I sleep in my van

Re: Transmisison Filter O-ring Help needed

Post by okie1 »

I recently did mine, I ended up using a semi sharp punch between the dark circle and the bright aluminum of the transmission, it went very easy and cave in the thin metal, I then used some pointed vise-grips to pull it out.

Topic author
Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

Thanks I will try and get it out, did you tap your punch lightly with a hammer? I have a straight pick that should go in easily if that is the remaining oring but dont want to force anything and go past thepoint of no return. So I am assuming it should actually be smooth in there, up to where it gets narrower, rather than what I am seeing.

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

Looking at your pics, the metal sleeve for the seal is still in there. Just use an awl or similar and wedge it between the ring and case. It will bend inward and you can remove it. You will probably need to bang at it with a hammer to start it.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

I'll help... Post up a quick pic of your new parts.

Topic author
Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

Thanks guys, that did the trick, old one is out new one is in. I was worried I would f' up the metal getting the piece out, since i had the right tools I did not expect it to be difficult, I was able to force it out, and then used a 18mm socket and ext to get it in there, basically what Reilly did with the PCV tubing. I did gouge the metal with the first few taps from my rubber mallet and straight pick getting it out, and I was being gentle, so a word of caution for others, be careful. You guys rock.

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Congrats