Driveline Vibration

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
ChrisG
I am merely driving my van

Driveline Vibration

Post by ChrisG »

Hey folks,
My 2004 AWD has a vibration that I need some help on. The vibration is most significant during exceleration before the trans shifts from 1st to 2nd gear, and then again right at about 40mph and then at 65-70mph. I got underneath and all ujoints are good, but the transfer case front output is very loose. I took off the front drive shaft but still have the vibration. I also know that the chain in the case is loose, I get a nice "clunk" when I shift from park to drive. So I know it's rebuild time, and before I try to bite this off myself, does anyone know a good source for a rebuilt unit? I also want some feed back on the vibration. Can the loose chain be my only the problem or should I be looking into something else? I just had the tires balanced and I replaced the rear brake rotors.
Any info from you all would be greatly appreciated.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Driveline Vibration

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I would lean towards a rear u-joint. I doubt a loose chain will give a vibration. Did you pull off the rear driveshaft to check the u-joints? Check the rear axle pinion for looseness, play and roughness when spun over by hand. Also check to see if the slip yoke at the t-case has excessive play. Now look to the rear leaf springs and rubber bushings. Is there anything broken or loose. I am thinking along the lines that the pinion rotates too far under acceleration and vibrates.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Thanks Lifted.
I think I'm chasing the same thing in one of mine...
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

Thanks for the input, I did put the basic 2" body lift kit from Overland Vans on it a year or so ago. I think the vibration was there before that, but I will go back under and check the springs and bushings. Should I have used any kind of shims for pinion angle? I didnt think the lift was significant enough for them to be necessary.
Chris

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Did you also use the shackles for the rear? If so you may well need some 2 degree shims to bring the pinion down a little. When you pull the rear driveshaft, use an angle finder to check the angle of the pinion and the transfer case output. They need to be within 0.5 degree of each other.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

I keep hearing about people needing shims, but I have my rear axle jacked up on the Overland HD springs and hangers all the way, and I don't experience any vibration. Is that unusual?

truC

Post by truC »

Hi all,

Just picked up a 2004 AWD Astro with 118k miles on it, it is in fantastic shape. During test drive I was unable to take it over 65mph.

On my drive home once on the highway it has a low frequency drone over 65mph and continues through to 75 but starts to taper off a bit above that. The frequency is so low it is actually nauseating.

From a dead stop to 65 there is no issues.

I seriously hope it is only a u-joint.

If I could up load pics I would post up one of the ride. I keep getting the message the site has reached it's limit. I have tried searching how this site loads pics but without any luck.
Life is short, get out and get dirty.