Need recommendation for smoother drive

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
tstol
I am merely driving my van

Need recommendation for smoother drive

Post by tstol »

Hi everyone. I'm not sure this is the right place to post, so if it should go somewhere else please let me know. I installed 4 ProComp 3000 Shocks and a 2" lift kit after much research. I love the height and look with my new rims and tires. The problem? The van rattles my teeth going down the road. My wife won't even drive in it after one ride. Although I will use the van for light camping, the reality is that it's a daily driver, and although I love the off road look, I need a smoother ride. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good pair of shocks for smooth road driving?

If it matters...
Tires: LT235/70R-16 BFGOODRICH ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2 C
Rims: AR 767 steel rims

Thanks in advance!

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Need recommendation for smoother drive

Post by WoodButcher »

What's your tire pressure?
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

Snowgeek
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Snowgeek »

What did your 2” lift consist of? Can I assume that the ride was fine prior? Does it feel that the front or rear is stiffer?

Just trying to narrow down the cause.

Ryan
2004 Astro (was AWD now 4X4) 125,000 miles: purchased April 2012
Colorado Camper Van poptop
4" Overland lift, Rancho 5000 Cooper AT3 245/75/16 C,
4x4 - NP236 Transfercase
Propex HS2211 propane heater
I am copying a few of you hope you don't mind!

See my build here

Topic author
tstol

Post by tstol »

Wood, I can't remember what my tire pressure is right now, but I lowered it significantly. Is there a recommended tire pressure? There just seems to be no give in the suspension. My mechanic said it was the shocks. I'm not a mechanic, so all I can do is take his opinion. I don't mind replacing the shocks. Just need a good recommendation. Thanks!

Topic author
tstol

Post by tstol »

Snowgeek wrote:What did your 2” lift consist of? Can I assume that the ride was fine prior? Does it feel that the front or rear is stiffer?

Just trying to narrow down the cause.

Ryan
Hey Ryan, thanks for the reply. I just got the overland vans 2" lift. Yes, it rode nicely before. I had the lift kit and shocks installed at the same time, so I can't say for sure that it would be the lift kit or the shocks that make it drive like something who's sole purpose is to rattle my fillings out, but I can only assume it's the shocks. My wife won't even drive in it. I just sold my 2001 (old style) Jeep Cherokee and that was a Cadillac comparatively, just to give you a reference. Looking forward to heading your thoughts. --Tad

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Sounds like shocks and air pressure in tires. I run 32 psi in LT 225/70-16 BFG KO tires which have the 3 ply side wall which makes them on the firm side.
Was the front end lifted by cranking the torsion bars, or inserting the 6 plastic 2" body lift pucks and longer bolts?

You should see the body lift pucks under the sub frame?

Also, make sure they did not install the hard polyurethane bushings for sway bars, etc.

AP

Snowgeek
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Snowgeek »

Hey Ryan, thanks for the reply. I just got the overland vans 2" lift. Yes, it rode nicely before. I had the lift kit and shocks installed at the same time, so I can't say for sure that it would be the lift kit or the shocks that make it drive like something who's sole purpose is to rattle my fillings out, but I can only assume it's the shocks. My wife won't even drive in it. I just sold my 2001 (old style) Jeep Cherokee and that was a Cadillac comparatively, just to give you a reference. Looking forward to heading your thoughts. --Tad
Ok here is my two cents, the lift kit you installed does not affect the springs in any real way. The body pucks don’t affect the torsion bars and the shackles don’t change much either. If the lift didn’t affect it and the ride was good to begin with then it is almost definitely the shocks. That lift kit says it works with stock shocks so you could just slip the old shocks on to test before spending any money. I have been happy enough with the rancho 5000 that overland sold me..... based on Stroverlanders experience I am swapping to Rancho 9000 this week after 5 years with the 5000.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
2004 Astro (was AWD now 4X4) 125,000 miles: purchased April 2012
Colorado Camper Van poptop
4" Overland lift, Rancho 5000 Cooper AT3 245/75/16 C,
4x4 - NP236 Transfercase
Propex HS2211 propane heater
I am copying a few of you hope you don't mind!

See my build here

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Another thing to check is for proper torque on the leaf spring bolts, and that they were torqued with the weight of the van on the wheels, on level ground.

Some people forget this and will torque the shackle-bolts to spec while the van is up on stands. When the van is lowered onto the springs, this torque can be enough to sort of pre-load the springs in that "drooped" position which can hurt ride quality. I have a fairly sloped driveway, on a sloped street, so while I can do some amount of suspension work there, I always have to drive over to the local high-school a block over and use their parking lot to loosen and re-torque all my suspension mounting bolts.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

I put Bilstein shocks on front of my 2003 AWD. They are very comfortable.

Also, I replaced rear Monroe air shocks , with Monroe cargo coil shocks which are nice ride.

AP