ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Solid Axle: Radius Arms

Post by mdmead »

Thanks for the update. Such a cool van!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

H2OJoe
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by H2OJoe »

Welcome back Gabe. I've wondered what happened to Trouble. Glad to hear you're still kickin' it.
Did you fab that spare tire rack? :guitar:
2001 Astro LT AWD "Redneck Edition", 4" Custom Lift, 30x9.5R15LT on stock wheels, Hightop conversion, custom interior, custom roof racks, external solar shower, front recovery points. SOLD

1997 Astro LS AWD Starting build soon.

Topic author
gabequest

Post by gabequest »

I have yet to learn to fabricate. I mean to...just a matter of time (and more desire)

Todd at JeepSpeedShop did the tire mount. He's the guy who fabbed my front end and is my go-to for nearly all modification or road side phone calls when things go wrong.
Jesse at HawkerInc. modified my old bike carrier to mount so I could maintain escape angle with bikes on board.
2004 Astro AWD
4inch Overland lift, 265/70/16, Poptop Colorado CamperVan, 11inch Roof Fan, Custom Bumper...more to come on the interior

H2OJoe

Post by H2OJoe »

Thanks for the info. I've been toying with the idea of modifying my hitch bike rack to carry my spare.
Yours looks like a good model to try to copy. Hope you don't mind. I have more plans for "Abrams"
but he'll never be the monster that Trouble is. :guitar:
2001 Astro LT AWD "Redneck Edition", 4" Custom Lift, 30x9.5R15LT on stock wheels, Hightop conversion, custom interior, custom roof racks, external solar shower, front recovery points. SOLD

Topic author
gabequest

Post by gabequest »

No prob Joe,
The tire swings out from the left corner. I wont be near the van for 5 wks or so but I'll try to remember to take close up pics for you.
Remind me mid november if I haven't yet.

Gabe
2004 Astro AWD
4inch Overland lift, 265/70/16, Poptop Colorado CamperVan, 11inch Roof Fan, Custom Bumper...more to come on the interior

H2OJoe

Post by H2OJoe »

Thanks Gabe. Come on up to Oregon this winter and we can climb Mt Hood together. :bounce: :guitar:

Topic author
gabequest

Post by gabequest »

Just put the van up for sale again. Sad but true. Gotta move on and would LOVE if Trouble went to someone in this family!

I wanted to add an update on steering characteristics....

GEAR BOX:
I had it rebuilt by AGR and changed from a 3turn lock to lock (stock range) to a 4 turn which helped a lot with highway feel. I think this modification should be standard practice for SAS on our vans. It really took out the jumpiness of the wheel. Adding a fox steering stabilizer after this also helped even more and will improve the life of the gear box.

TRACK BAR, TIE ROD, DRAG LINK:
Changing all these to Bullet Proof Steering components helped a lot with slack in the system mostly due to the heavy duty Heim joints. Strongly recommended upgrade.

Also, I went with BPS's tie rod over knuckle kit which forced me to get rid of the custom sway bar... which was fine because that sway bar was always a pain in the ass. There was too much force on the sway bar links and they would break and/or wear out the bushings. Bumping up spring rate to 500lb took care of sway and did not make for a harsh ride.

Thats all for now!
2004 Astro AWD