Solid Axle Swap and 4x4 conversion of 1996 LS 2WD

Topic author
patgizz
I get chills without my van.

Solid Axle Swap and 4x4 conversion of 1996 LS 2WD

Post by patgizz »

About 4 years ago i bought this 1996 Astro LS 2wd at the junkyard. It had a rod knock and 168k miles, but was very well maintained and extremely clean. Originally i had planned to fix it for my mom to drive. We took the pan off and found a nasty journal on one of the rods that could actually be removed from below. resized rod, crank kit, and new timing set later it ran perfect. She drove it for a few weeks. I was driving one day and started hearing things, but tried to make it home. It quit at a light, and when i pulled it home i started digging. the bolts holding the timing gear to the cam had backed out until they tore a hole in the cover, then sheared off leaving a mess of wadded up chain. after installing a new timing set i found 0 compression on 5 cylinders, lots of bent valves. long story short, new heads installed and another rod knock from the abrupt locking up of the motor when the chain wadded up, we parked the thing. the temp tag in the back window expired in august 2007. fast forward to 2009, i bought a house, sold a few cars and wanted a project. drove the van here with no power, no registration, rod knock, and the brake line blew pulling it out of the barn at my parents house so i had no brakes. into the garage it went in september 2009, i yanked the 4.3 out and put in a vortec 5300 from a 2001 silverado. after general fitment issues caused clearance problems with things i could not afford to remedy, i left it in the garage over winter. this january i picked up a bastardized k5 blazer from what i would call a colossal redneck, whose preferred tool was obviously the sawzall, because the body was cut off aft of the doors, the doors were cut off, and the front fenders and chunks of the core support were cut off. but it supposedly ran, and i needed to slap my plow on something to do my driveway because snow blowers suck and my old plow truck gave up. got it running, and it drove so on went plow, and snap went the welded rear end. picked up 3/4 ton axles and installed just the rear.

long story short - and the first paragraph could be way longer - i plowed for 3 months with no heat, no doors, and it was miserable. i kept looking for a 73-87 pickup to put my running gear into, all the while the astro sat in the garage. then i figured - why not make a 4x4 astro? first thing i pulled the lsx driveline out.

after that the first order of business was to draw things out. i knew i had a 350/700r4/np208 combo that was tested and worked. i also knew i had an s10 2wd frame, some 1 ton chevy springs, 3.73 3/4 ton axles, and a complete 76 c30 at my disposal. after going over spring charts, i decided to use the 54" s10 rear leafs up front.

pretty simple after that. figure out where i wanted the axle and began to weld. the beginnings of the front crossmember were in place with spring hangers rather quickly.

the crossmember began life as a 3x4 .250 steel angle. eventually it became a 3x4 tube. the first cut of the engine crossmember was nowhere near enough

when i finally had van on wheels on garage floor i realized i had better get it outside before i started getting the rear up to match, or else i would be stuck inside. first order was lift the rear and get the axle in, because it was becoming a pain to work on a van that was 8" taller in front than the rear.

removed the rear axle and the center pin on the spring so all i had in the van was the main leaf on each side.

marked the front of a set of 1 ton truck springs and dissected them to make my lifted spring packs, and also going for extra capacity because i will be towing my boat up to lake erie with it.

what i ended up with was astro main leaf and #3-6 plus the overload from the 1 ton pack. the springs alone have given almost enough lift, will have to add a couple more inches either with blocks or shackles, but the final tuning of ride height will be determined by where the front ends up. van up in the air was the perfect time to get the 14 bolt in. welded on new perches and removed the massive drum brakes to get it in. my mom actually helped me position it under the van and jack it up into place - i have one of the coolest moms ever.

had some rotors delivered and pressed studs out of the drums and into them and stuck the hubs back on.

popped the engine and trans in on JTR engine mounts. pic shows the extended front frame rails and bumper brackets and beginnings of the boxing of the front crossmember, which is now plated way back on the factory frame of the van.

the last major accomplishment was melding the astro and k5 crossmembers to have a bolt in affair into all factory holes.

since the last pics i have received my rear disc brackets, new front rotors, installed lots of engine accessories. tomorrow i plan to spend some quality time working on things. going to attempt to get the old steering arm off the knuckle and get the new one on and linked to the steering box. i also have to dissect the k5 rear leaf packs to get springs to add more to the front. the weight of van without drivetrain sat things perfectly, so i need to add one or two up front to raise things back up and add the capacity to carry the weight of the van plus snow plow.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Solid Axle Swap and 4x4 conversion of 1996 LS 2WD

Post by mdmead »

Very cool! Can't wait to see the rest of this build!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
patgizz

Post by patgizz »

heres one more shot from today.

i got a bunch of parts i needed pulled from what is left of the k5 donor, and i began removing the old torched off steering arm. those cone washers blow. i hoped to get the steering hooked up but my steering linkage stuff is so rusted and nasty that i need to buy a couple new parts. we're going to a wedding this afternoon so things must wait until tomorrow.

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

by any chance are you the son of a mad scientist??? cool project. My wife would never put up with that much cutting and hacking in the driveway.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

Very cool project you have going!! :cheers:
You mentioned Lake Erie, where you from?
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

AWESOME! Makes me want mine back. :muhaha:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

Wow! Very cool and ambitious. Looking forward to more!
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

Topic author
patgizz

Post by patgizz »

i'm just south of cleveland. grew up in the city.

no mad scientist in the family, but my dad was a millwright at the steel mill so that explains a ton.

9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Post by 9dawgs »

Yes! This is what I would eventually like to do to my 4x2 '99! :bounce: Great write up. I'm looking forward to the finished project. =D>
Jim<><

'99 Astro 4X2, (RIP) 4" Overland Lift, 31X10.50/15 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO,
Rancho RS5000 shocks, Rockford Fosgate RFX9000, Red Top Optima, K&N Filter

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

Topic author
patgizz

Post by patgizz »

got wrapped up with some work stuff, fixing the roof on the house, and doing intake gaskets and power steering pump on my sister's 3100 lumina.

the front leaves are complete. ended up with the full s10 leaf pack, with two leaves(#2 and #4) from the k5 rear packs, and a superlift add-a-leaf made for s10. this gives me the capacity i need to carry the front end. i purchased 1500# level load helpers for the plow, but i may put the plow on the big truck.

today i got the old crap studs removed from the driver side exhaust manifold and installed new ones, and put both manifolds on. took out the distributor that i damaged putting the engine in and installed an accel HEI leftover from a camaro i parted out.

i also picked up a dual exhaust kit for 81-87 fullsize, which is what my manifolds are from, to get the proper pipes to mate to the manifolds.

while at summit racing last week i scored bilsteins for new durangos, the rears will be perfect and the fronts will be perfect when i make brackets, for a whopping $12 for all 4.

i'll get more pics shortly. i have noticed, due to the bottom of the core support being weak with rust, that the core support has spread up at the top about 1/2" and will need pulled back together when i reinstall the upper part that i cut out to do the engine swap through the front. darn ohio road salt.

also the pull a part we went to the other day has an astro conversion with a high top, and they told me $50 for it! so i need to go back and figure out how to remove a high top from a van without breaking it.

the new steering arm and the factory pitman arm have been drilled to 5/8" and tapered for my new steering linkage. i am STILL fighting with those damn cone washers. i am almost to the point of torching the old arm off of the studs.
previous: 1985 cargo, 1995 cargo, 1996 SAS 4x4

current: 1998 cargo with LS cladding and wheels

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Great Job patgizz, nice pics and write up :supz:

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

Nice project Pat. Keep the pics coming.
I'm glad you already got the K5 after it was wasted or I would have had to drive up there and kick your rear for cutting one up :D

Topic author
patgizz

Post by patgizz »

i'll have to post a pic of the donor, it was nasty. i can uninstall the load leveler helpers because the plow is on the big truck now, and slap them on the rear of my new sonoma.

i did look at the van yesterday and want to work on it, but i had to rewire the plow and put a fuel filter on the work truck before it started raining. going to see if there is a way i can get the van in the garage to finish it up, maybe air down the tires and push it in.

Topic author
patgizz

Post by patgizz »

in my infinite putting off of the astro to do other things the weather has come around and made it nice and warm for me to work on the van again.

over the last 6 months i have:

bought a 95 impala SS and installed the 5.3/4l60e that were in the astro, so now have an lsx powered impala to hoon around in when i get the wiring finished.

converted my big 1 ton dually from an sm465 manual that i was sick of replacing slaves and clutch lines on(and shifting after a long day of work) to a th400. i actually just drove it for the first time in 5 months today.

scrapped my crown vic - never trying another ford

bought an 05 rendezvous for my wife

had a baby

i was also busy picking up parts for the van. i have new valve covers and gaskets, new carb and gaskets, installed a new distributor because i accidentally burned the old one when torching the body off the donor truck. i talked to the driveshaft shop yesterday and he is going to take care of making a new rear shaft to mate the np208 to the 14 bolt. i also have some 245/75/16 goodyear wrangler ht's to try and fit to the astro, as well as a brush guard that i picked up for $25 at an estate sale. i also borrowed a reamer and made the proper tapered hole in my stock pitman arm and a new straight steering arm, and picked up a new drag link assembly. also i ordered a dual exhaust kit for 85 pickup to match my manifolds, and some mufflers to fit that.

now that the big truck is out of the way, i can pull the astro back up to the garage and get busy. i never did get that old torched off steering arm removed, not sure what to do about that one aside of destroying the studs and buying new ones.

expect some updates with pics soon.

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

What vehicle did the 14-bolt come from?

I want a selectable locker, so I've been scheming on what application I can steal a rear assembly from. Did it fit more or less or did you have to shorten/lengthen to make up for the passenger-side offset?
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.