1988 Safari given a second life this time its 4X4

Topic author
knucklehead
I am smitten with my van

1988 Safari given a second life this time its 4X4

Post by knucklehead »

ok so i was looking on kijiji for a safari with a blown everything so i could v8 it and 4x4 it at the same time but came across one with a 350 in it already so i had to buy it instead. Damn!! so i get the van and plan to take my red 1989 safari off the road and 4x4 that instead but just as i plan to set up shop i drive my new 350 safari into the back end of a car . . . TWICE! so instead i put it in storage and thats where it sat for 3 months. finally got some money back together after paying to fix the other car so i can start my build. so far all i have done is pull the transmission and half the front end suspension/steering and oh tried straighting the dent in the front end. this is going to be a long and cold build for me since its in a "portable garage" and winter is coming but i dont plan on letting it stop me.

This is where my shop is going

The van inside the shop (notice the custom floor)

The front end damage

Another angle

My front axle and front end of van now

Left knuckle (i will be removing the steering arm off the top of it)

Right knuckle

Tire size difference (205/70R15 to a LT265/75R16)

What is this electrical connector for on the transfer case?

And a picture of the van before doomsday

sorry for the darker pics i took them at night. if there is anything u want me to take pics of or focus on let me know and any suggestions are extremely hepful. thank you in advance.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: 1988 Safari given a second life this time its 4X4

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The electrical connector on the t-case is for actuating the front axle disconnect on the stock truck. I see you are using a NP241. Good choice.

What are you doing for suspension and rear axle?
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

since you bent the subframe in the accident would it make your life easier to just swap in a AWD subframe? As opposed to straightening the bent frame and then trying to mount the axle.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Topic author
knucklehead
I am smitten with my van

Post by knucklehead »

Lifted - do i need the electrical connector hooked up then or can i leave it? also there is 2 tubes on it as well that im not familar with. and thanks for the info on the transfer case i wasnt sure what kind it was. as for the rear axle i am using a 14 bolt for the front it is a 10 bolt passenger side pumpkin out of a 86 or 89 surburban as well as the transmission and transfer case from it too. as for the rear suspension i havent decided on what leaf springs i want to use im waiting till i get the front how i like it then do the back with a leaf and maybe some blocks. im hoping to have it sit with maybe 4-6 inches of up travel i want it to look almost stock if it came 4x4.(if that makes sense)

kidhauler - the frame wasnt bent up as much as it looks it still drives fine and it didnt bend anything except for that front bushing spot so where the gear box mounts and the coil buckets are still fine. i hought about swapping in an awd sub frame but they are hard to find in my area so i would probably have to buy another van that wasnt even scrap worthy. and also as easy as everyone makes it look dropping the sub fram kinda scares me cause if u dont put it back just right ur alignment will never be the same and u will have pulls and vibrations and a terrible ride on ur hands. as for the bumper i plan to make a new one once im done the axle swap and stuff so u wont even see the damage that is there. also im going to take it to a friend who will brace that corner up again so ill be as good as new.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

You shouldn't need that electrical connector hooked up. Can you get better pics of the t-case? There should be a tag on the back side that tells if it is a NP241. 1 of the tubes is just a vent. No idea on the 2nd tube unless it is solid then it may be the shifter linkage.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy