Lift kit

Topic author
Mark C.
I get chills without my van.

Lift kit

Post by Mark C. »

Alright I am fishin,maybe this topic has been covered,if so I appologise. Has anyone tried making an s-10 or 1500 suspension lift work on the front of an Astro/Safari. I know u guys have improved on the body lift with the "can" lift but it is still a body lift. This is worst case senario when forces are applied in a dirrection not intended. I know there is a lot of guys runnin them for a long time but maybe because its easy. Lookin over a lifted 1500 next to my van looks like there is a lot pf similarities. The basic 1500 lift is called a scaffold lift. It basically spaces three components down,the upper control arms,the lower control arms and the third member. The lower controll arm spacers is usually a heavy duty assembly going across and spacing down both arms together. This would be the crux. The upper arms and third member looks not so bad. This would allow for less,if any body lift. Usually this kind of lift spaces the upper and lower arms further appart and allows for more travel,like flipping ur upper ball joints.

Topic author
Mark C.

Re: Lift kit

Post by Mark C. »

I just took a closer look at my suspension and spacing down the upper arms would be trickey the subframe is in the way but ball joint spacers or lifted spindles would work. The rest still looks straight foreward.

Topic author
Mark C.

Post by Mark C. »

Ya know what,nevermind I am gonna fix my roof rack first. U guys got me all twitterpated bout my van and Im startin to go in multiple dirrections!

Snowgeek
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Snowgeek »

I think that your question is good in theory..... I have not been around this astro stuff long enough to really know any answers. But i come from the yota world and that is the right way to lift their ifs and retain torsion bar spring rate and travel. I will start paying attention to some other chevy lifts now.
Mark C. wrote:Ya know what,nevermind I am gonna fix my roof rack first. U guys got me all twitterpated bout my van and Im startin to go in multiple dirrections!
Yeah, my whole van has been built from stock in the last 5 months.....i keep feeling pulled in so many directions and have so many ideas bouncing around in my head i get distracted.

Unfortunately my business and my subaru are the ones that are fighting for my attention at the moment :swords:
I am trying to ignore the land rover seats and a swivel base just begging me to be installed.

Oh yeah and the winch project that i started is hiding back there too :-s

Ryan
Last edited by Snowgeek on Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Astro (was AWD now 4X4) 125,000 miles: purchased April 2012
Colorado Camper Van poptop
4" Overland lift, Rancho 5000 Cooper AT3 245/75/16 C,
4x4 - NP236 Transfercase
Propex HS2211 propane heater
I am copying a few of you hope you don't mind!

See my build here

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

For an AWD or 4WD wouldn't you need to drop the diff too?

Topic author
Mark C.

Post by Mark C. »

I am refering to the "diff" or differential as a "third member" same same.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

ah ok. I've never heard that term used before.

Overland used to sell what you're talking about. Looks like they've stopped. I was never a fan because you didn't gain any clearance between the front wheels.
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-11-26 at 8.40.08 AM.png