DIY lift kit 2003 Safari

inu
I am merely driving my van

Re: DIY lift kit 2003 Safari

Post by inu »

Great info, thanks. Good luck with your transfer case install, I'm looking forward to putting mine in. Having a low range will be a huge improvement

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Good looking package. How do you like the Beta?

Are you on Dual Sport BC forum?

Yeah, your front end looks nice and high. Perfect stance.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Love the trials bikes !!
Looks great,
the 2 of you should be very happy together.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Only one is a trials bike. The other looks like a crf 230 or something. Hard to tell size when they are tied down without a fork support.
ImageImageImageImage

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Now how did I miss that trials bike?! Well, I guess because I was admiring the trailer & van out in a beautiful environment. Would so love to have a trials bike!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
Marktainium

Post by Marktainium »

My bike is the Beta. Love it! Used to ride a 2006 Honda CRF450x. The other bike is my wifes 2008 CRF 150r expert (big wheel version). I'm not on the dualsport forum. If you want some great riding, check out the FVDRA. BC Nickelmines is the location. Here's a video from the weekend... Getting off topic, but I'll write the rear suspension swap soon.

http://contour.com/stories/bear-shit-bo ... eter-brian

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

I don't want to clutter up your lift thread, but your contour page looks good. Except that, on my laptop anyway, it won't play, it just says "Loading Player". I'll try it on my tv computer so I can watch it on the flatscreen later.

Looking forward to comparing your Contour vids to GoPro vids. I've heard about McNutt, haven't ridden there though. I've tried out my van at Vedder Mtn, about an hour away, but haven't ridden
there.
ImageImageImageImage

AquaAngel
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by AquaAngel »

Pretty neet job as i might have to go that route as i am having some issues to order the part for my lift kit, so i will take your ideas.

Now how did you manage to fix the Steering Shaft? did you had extended or took it off from another truck? how did you got around that area?
93 Astro Van army blue [V8/350/5.7L]
------------

Chevy owned:
93 Astro cargo Van "Phantom Rebel"
98 GMC Safari AWD
09 GMC C5500 6.6L, Duramax "3 ton truck"

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Nice ride, nice write up. Thank you for the link to the springs; I've been looking to upgrade from my axle blocks and the springs are 20% off this weekend! :guitar:

RE your ball joints. I've had my torsion bars cranked to the max for 8 years now and 70,000 miles. I now need to replace a ball joint for the first time. The boot was split so I'm not sure if the joint failure was from the lift or not.

My idler arms probably need replacing to.

The 70k weren't street miles either; many miles of rough desert roads with some occasional light to moderate "4 wheelin". Enough that my rear springs are pretty tired and I've lost an inch or more lift up front from tired torsion bars.

BTW- I never did get around to having my van aligned after the lift, never steered weird nor did it have any uneven tire wear (until the ball joint failed)... just sayin.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Topic author
Marktainium

Post by Marktainium »

AquaAngel wrote:Pretty neet job as i might have to go that route as i am having some issues to order the part for my lift kit, so i will take your ideas.

Now how did you manage to fix the Steering Shaft? did you had extended or took it off from another truck? how did you got around that area?
On the '03 the steering shaft works with the lift. I think on the earlier models you need to swap it to an early 2wd version.

Topic author
Marktainium

Post by Marktainium »

photo_van wrote:Nice ride, nice write up. Thank you for the link to the springs; I've been looking to upgrade from my axle blocks and the springs are 20% off this weekend! :guitar:

RE your ball joints. I've had my torsion bars cranked to the max for 8 years now and 70,000 miles. I now need to replace a ball joint for the first time. The boot was split so I'm not sure if the joint failure was from the lift or not.

My idler arms probably need replacing to.

The 70k weren't street miles either; many miles of rough desert roads with some occasional light to moderate "4 wheelin". Enough that my rear springs are pretty tired and I've lost an inch or more lift up front from tired torsion bars.

BTW- I never did get around to having my van aligned after the lift, never steered weird nor did it have any uneven tire wear (until the ball joint failed)... just sayin.
I replaced my Idler arms the first week I owned it. They were shot. Did the front brakes too. A neat trick on the idlers, for greasing, is to install the idler onto the drag link but not the frame and grease it. I could see that getting the grease gun on the drag link side when installed was going to suck. After it's all greased up then bolt it to the frame.

I've yet to align my van and it drives great too. :muhaha:

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Yer directional rotors are rotating the wrong way...

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

We have very close to the same overall miles re: idler arms. Thanks for the greasing tip.

I'm curious why you went with the s10 truck springs (1350#) rather than the s10 Blazer springs (1450#). Not a huge difference, but inquiring minds??? I've never been able to find a rating for my stock 2+1 springs, only 3+1 rated at 1410#s.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Topic author
Marktainium

Post by Marktainium »

astroturf wrote:Yer directional rotors are rotating the wrong way...
I just put them on the way they said on the box. Looking at my Camaro brakes I see your point. Hmmm....

Topic author
Marktainium

Post by Marktainium »

photo_van wrote:We have very close to the same overall miles re: idler arms. Thanks for the greasing tip.

I'm curious why you went with the s10 truck springs (1350#) rather than the s10 Blazer springs (1450#). Not a huge difference, but inquiring minds??? I've never been able to find a rating for my stock 2+1 springs, only 3+1 rated at 1410#s.
I rechecked the catalog as I couldn't remember why I wouldn't have done that. Then I remembered. They quote different capacities, but the spring part numbers are the same. I was happy with the ride quality of my stock springs, so didn't do the HD springs. I didn't want to need to wear a kidney belt when the van had no load in it. If I have a load issue I will turn to air bags or air shocks.