DIY lift kit 2003 Safari

rvflyfish
I am merely driving my van

Re: DIY lift kit 2003 Safari

Post by rvflyfish »

Marktainium wrote:
photo_van wrote:We have very close to the same overall miles re: idler arms. Thanks for the greasing tip.

I'm curious why you went with the s10 truck springs (1350#) rather than the s10 Blazer springs (1450#). Not a huge difference, but inquiring minds??? I've never been able to find a rating for my stock 2+1 springs, only 3+1 rated at 1410#s.
I rechecked the catalog as I couldn't remember why I wouldn't have done that. Then I remembered. They quote different capacities, but the spring part numbers are the same. I was happy with the ride quality of my stock springs, so didn't do the HD springs. I didn't want to need to wear a kidney belt when the van had no load in it. If I have a load issue I will turn to air bags or air shocks.
Never mind, I think I figured it out; Astro springs don't have enough arch.

Follow up question: Is it just the pics because you're towing, or is the front a little higher than the rear (to the eye). I know your measurements show the rear to be almost 2" higher, but in the pics it looks a tiny bit lower than the front.

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

I can't speak for the OP, but the standard frontend lift of 2" body pucks and 2" of torsion bar crank, give 4" in front. S10 leaves give 3" in back. I used shackles and new holes in the spring hangers to gain another 2" in back.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

pbgbottle

Post by pbgbottle »

Bump for another local guy getting ready to do mine 04 AWD in cloverdale.
And issues or updates to add to this thread. I have been thinking of just ordering a kit from journey off-road. A bit pricey in Canadian funds. But I like their rear brackets for the front solid mount of the springs. I may go through the headache of installing the three inch blocks also. ,,cheers cool thread I have never seen your rig around before.
2004 astro AWD

rvflyfish

Post by rvflyfish »

There's a thread about a 3+1 lift on here or the other Astro/Safari forum. That's 3" pucks and 1" torsion bar crank.

I did a 2+2 lift but if I had it to do over again I would go 3+1. Less cranking of the torsion bars gives a better ride.

Btw, I used rear leafs from SDTruckSprings.com and the rear end is a little higher than the front. It has a nice little rake to it. Part #22-687. USD130 plus USD106 shipping.

Chase1

Post by Chase1 »

great post thanks, helpful stuff.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Yes, the shop in Prescott AZ, Journeys Off Road, JOR,

Offers the 3" pucks

Mike is the one to talk to.

He also sells the awesome rear bump stops for lifted Astro.

AP