Overland Lifts ???

Topic author
rastafari03
I am smitten with my van

Overland Lifts ???

Post by rastafari03 »

Hmmm....My question for you all is, what is up with Overland lifts? I know they have been purchased by Gerald and relocated to (Canada?) I know they must be legit because you all have purchased their products. I know the only contact with is by email at present and I also know that they seem to be busy, but I purchased via Paypal a 4" lift and Rancho shocks for my 03 AWD Safari yesterday afternoon and when I pushed the send key I had the feeling I sent my money into space. I ended up emailing Gerald yesterday asking a few questions and no response today. So my question is what am I to expect, a response, conformation on my purchase, delivery date etc.

I am super excited, but what the hell!!! Did I actually order these parts or not?

Any info from you guys or gals would be great!!!

Thanks

Sean
Attachments
This is my new 03 AWD Safari with the running boards. I recently removed the running boards and am going to trade boards for missing cladding with a dude I found on craigslist wih the same color van, just lucky I guess: )
This is my new 03 AWD Safari with the running boards. I recently removed the running boards and am going to trade boards for missing cladding with a dude I found on craigslist wih the same color van, just lucky I guess: )
Lov'in my new beach buggie!
03 Safari AWD SLT 3D 99k Mods: 4" OLV lift, Rancho 5000 shocks, Two new front half shafts, True-cool trans cooler, removed cladding, (n)Z71 offroad decals, Yakama cross bars and fairing, Malone kayak cradle, matte black 16" x 8" MB wheels and 255/70/16 Pirelli Scorpion ATR's.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Overland Lifts ???

Post by doyoulikeithere »

If you paid it, and its still legit, paypal should have sent you a receipt/confirmation email.

If paypal didnt confirm it, I would ask this question at paypal.

Good Luck.
PS for the most part you would be able to find all the OLV parts at local autoparts supply stores except the shackles and bumper re-loc brackets.
I have a 4 inch lift and I do not use shackles or lift blocks, just a set of new beefy S10 Leaf springs, (OLV's 4" leaf pack is about the same) and everyone sells the body lift blocks.
Get the long steering shaft from an old (80's early 90s) 2wd astro as it is 2 inches longer than the awd steering shafts. (got mine for 5 bucks)
I made my own Re-loc brackets as did many members.

Really, Its not very hard to collect everything you need, pretty cheep, locally.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
rastafari03
I am smitten with my van

Post by rastafari03 »

Thanks for the reply mike. The scavenger hunt sounds easy enough, but I am no mechanic and really don't know the vans as well as you guys. I've only owned it a month or so, but starting to crawl around under it. I have limited time and thought it would be nice to come home to a complete kit. Ya..PayPal sent me conformation, I'll just have to wait and see.

Hey since you know these vans so well, is the kit complete? I won't need anything else, have to lengthen drive shafts or anything like that.

Thanks again
Sean
03 Safari AWD SLT 3D 99k Mods: 4" OLV lift, Rancho 5000 shocks, Two new front half shafts, True-cool trans cooler, removed cladding, (n)Z71 offroad decals, Yakama cross bars and fairing, Malone kayak cradle, matte black 16" x 8" MB wheels and 255/70/16 Pirelli Scorpion ATR's.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Shouldnt need to touch the driveshafts at all.

You will need to trim your fan shroud, and buy some bigger tires I guess.

Depending on your tire choice, You may end up trimming or bashing back a bit of the sheet metal at the front of the rear wheelwells, and at the back of the front wheel wells. if you experience any tire rubs on small bumps. do the trimming or you might rip lugs off the tires on bigger bumps.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

Be prepared to buy some new front body mounting bolts. Mine were in rough shape. Some people have trouble with spring shackle bolts. I also had to get my exhaust tailpipe bent because it was resting against the springs and vibrating the whole van.

loopie
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by loopie »

I don't know anything about Gerald, so I can't comment on OverlandVans circa 2011.

But I can say that unless American buyers pay a ridiculous fee for faster shipping...shipping from Canada to the US is at the regular snail mail pace unfortunately. It is almost a conspiracy to limit free trade, I swear :-k

Topic author
rastafari03
I am smitten with my van

Post by rastafari03 »

Thought I'd better get right back here, don't want to start any rumors. Gerald emailed me back in less than 24 hours. He was helpful and willing to be their for any questions or issues when I install the kit. He said it was pretty simple and to just pay attention to detail (shock locations, rubbing etc). Seems like a pretty good guy.

Tires: Definitely the A/T KO's size? I've looked at all your vans a million times, its what started all this. I like the way 9dawgs is set up 31x10.50x15 which on a 16" wheel is a 255/75/16, but wonder if it wouldn't be better to go with the 30x9.5x15 or 245/75/16? due to gearing, fuel, rubbing etc. They don't look all that much different. Hmmm..

Body mounting bolts? for the spacers(pucks?) they come with the kit, yes?

I thought the $170.00 I payed for shipping was expensive and its slow too!

I've read so many of your posts that I have become aware of all the trimming/hammering that has to be done, each one seems to be a little different.

I'm out of here! "Happy Friday" Thanks again Guys and have a great weekend!!!

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Hmmm,
I wish I could remember the exact post, but George did post an update a while back.

He said that even though "he" is in Canada, the product will still ship from USA.
So we Canadians will still be the ones who wait for the slow boat.
Shouldn't make a diff to USA customers.

Also, your kit better have 6 NEW body mount bolts! (Mine did) 4x10mm and 2x12mm by whatever the length is......

170 for shipping?!?! you must have gotten the leaf spring too. They r heavy & big.....

And yes, shackle bolts do tend to seize. You can get new grade 8 or 10 bolts at most hardware stores it they weren't included in the kit.

When you do the lift, keep an eye out for the flexible brake line to the rear axle getting pulled due to the extra length, as well as the air breather tube.
Same deal with the front, watch for wires, fuel lines and brake lines etc that may get hung up.
I didn't need to lengthen anything, but you should watch that they are free from getting hung up or stretched during the install.

Good Luck, keep us posted.!!!

Oh, without pix, it just didn't happen ;)

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

My bad. I went back to check my lifting thread and you guys are right. The kit comes with new bolts but not nuts! I had to buy nuts because the existing hardware was rusted and seized.

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Be VERY aware #-o of any lines coming off the bottom passenger side of the radiator that attach to the frame at that point!!
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

A bit of advice, remove the front bumper first. It allows you access to the front puck locations, etc.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

LaGrasta wrote:A bit of advice, remove the front bumper first. It allows you access to the front puck locations, etc.
I would have cursed a lot more with out a 7.5 amp electric impact wrench, and a 3 foot steel pipe that fits nicely over my ratchet handle !

Came in handy on the 6 body bolts, and I also swapped springs too. Impact wrenches are great.

So, Has he actually shipped it yet? :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke:

Topic author
rastafari03
I am smitten with my van

Post by rastafari03 »

Sorry for the delay. I don't have internet at home and have been super busy at work. I have been reading quite a bit though, just forgot to check back.

I don't know if it has been shipped. I returned his email with a few questions and never heard back. I did go to their website and it states that due to the large volume of orders shipping may take up to 3 weeks. Hmmm...guess I just have to wait. I just ordered the Tru-Cool tranny cooler and they sent me conformation within an hour stating that it would arrive on the 24th. I think it's a mom and pops thing.

Used to build homes and due a lot of large beam work and happen to have an electric impact, also air. Hadn't thought of the cheater bar.

It's my only transportation and thought...maybe it would be wise to rent a car that day! and fire up the internet.

Thanks again.

sean

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Probably cheaper and more fun to invite your buddy with a car to come over for a few beers while you guys work on it. You'll git r done.
The most likely snags are spring eye bolts, and the front 2 body block bolts.
Of the 6 body bolts, 2 are slightly adjustable, and 4 have a fixed hole to bolt into.
The 2 front most bolts give some folks headaches because they can spin around and around forever.
The secret is to not push up hard on those bolts or you lift the nut out of its retainer inside.
Use an impact wrench or cheater bar to turn it but don't push up hard.
I did my 87 last summer, and got them out fine. They have been in there for nearly 25 years!
If the spring eye bolt is seized, just have a new one ready and cut it off with a 4" angle grinder...
You do have a small angle grinder don't you? Most important & well used tool in the shop!!

loopie
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by loopie »

The job can be done in 2parts too Eh. The van is driveable with just one end completed. So one end one evening, the other the next if you need to.