doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Overland Lifts ???

Post by doyoulikeithere »

timelessbeing wrote:
rastafari03 wrote:Boy was, am I pissed.
I thought rastas were easy going. \:D/
Spent the ganj money on a lift kit! Lol.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

rastafari03 wrote:Boy was, am I pissed! What is going on with the new torsion keys? They don't fit the stock torsion bars. The hex opening in the new keys is way to big for the stock bars.

So...needless to say the job is incomplete. I still have to relocate the ball joint and install the correct keys. Will post pictures and describe when its complete. I had some funny stuff happen.

Anyone know whats up with the keys from Overland? Sure would be nice to be able to call them.

Thanks

Sorry, I never paid that much attention to the keys because like I said, I didn't install them.

What is the status now? What did you find out from OverLand?
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

rastafari03 wrote:They don't fit the stock torsion bars. The hex opening in the new keys is way to big for the stock bars.
Any chance you have the diameters of your torsion bars, and the holes in the keys? I'd like check and see if I'll run into the same problem.

Topic author
rastafari03
I am smitten with my van

Post by rastafari03 »

Hey guys,

The keys I received are 2.125" and our/ my '03 torsion bars are 1.5". It was a mix up on their part. It seems to me that our lifts are shipped directly from a few different sources. Instead of one warehouse stocked with parts. Definitely check your keys before removing the old ones this cost me some time. Also I read somewhere to use a 12" c-clamp (mistake) use a 4"-6" clamp. I bought a 12 and that thing turned into a pretzel. I managed to get them out, but switched to a bottle jack to put them back. Clamps are sketchy. Will try a 4" next time, less clamp body, less visible screw.

Good news is... been there, done that next time will be a breeze. Oh, sprayed a bit of bolt buster prior to pulling bars and they just popped right out. My whole install so far has been a breeze all bolts just sliding out by hand.

New keys suppose to be on their way will finish this weekend.
Keep you posted.

Also had a question for you guys. With body puck's and new shackles (top hole least amount of lift) and R-springs. I'm 3 7/8 (+/-) higher in the rear. How am I going to make it up in the front? All with the new torsion keys!!

Yeah...I know, sometimes I can use a bit of patience. Just like to finish what I started, it's my only transportation. Thanks
Lov'in my new beach buggie!
03 Safari AWD SLT 3D 99k Mods: 4" OLV lift, Rancho 5000 shocks, Two new front half shafts, True-cool trans cooler, removed cladding, (n)Z71 offroad decals, Yakama cross bars and fairing, Malone kayak cradle, matte black 16" x 8" MB wheels and 255/70/16 Pirelli Scorpion ATR's.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

Thanks for the info, rasta. Keep us updated on how the front alignment and drive-ability goes.

My next question is, what year did they change the torsion bar thickness?

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

rastafari03 wrote:Hey guys,
Also had a question for you guys. With body puck's and new shackles (top hole least amount of lift) and R-springs. I'm 3 7/8 (+/-) higher in the rear. How am I going to make it up in the front? All with the new torsion keys!!

. Thanks

That's the big question, alright. I didn't make it up in the front. My shackles have one hole of adjustment left, and my van still has a rake to it. I really want my van 2" hgher in the front but am not sure of the strongest, most reliable way to do it while retaining it's great hwy manners.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

T.Low wrote:
rastafari03 wrote:Hey guys,

. Thanks

That's the big question, alright. I didn't make it up in the front. My shackles have one hole of adjustment left, and my van still has a rake to it. I really want my van 2" hgher in the front but am not sure of the strongest, most reliable way to do it while retaining it's great hwy manners.
The only real way to achieve this is with larger front lift blocks. Time to weld in some 4" spacers Tom....
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
rastafari03
I am smitten with my van

Post by rastafari03 »

Timeless, Just read a thread over at astrosafari.com. This guy snapped a torsion bar over in Ireland and the members were nice enough to see him through his ordeal. One posted some pics of three T-keys OVL's, OEM improved and OEM original. The OEM original had a much larger hex key(or what ever you call it) like the wrong key that was sent to me. I think they changed when they changed the old faulty bars '95?

T-Low, The adjustment, your spring must be in the center hole and even higher in the rear than mine. Yes? The pic's of the vans are deceiving. Yours doesn't look that low in the front.
I couldn't wait for a response from Gerald and went straight to the source of these keys, shackles and probably springs. We talked about lifting the front end via the keys and he seemed fairly confident that staying within the intended design 2" we wouldn't have a problem. That's maintaining stock adjustment and installing new key. I lifted the front of my van today with our forklift 3.5"(level) and drive shafts, steering angles didn't seem that bad. I don't know man, trial and error. Hopefully not to much of the latter.

Tom, Lift blocks...hmmm sounds like work. How to even get in and weld. Not to mention hoses, wires, steering etc. I was thinking new keys with a tiny bit of adjustment and a 1/2" stack of washers. That" 3 more inchs only 1/2" out.

The search continues, will keep you posted. Probably wont get my new keys by Friday. How do you guys drag those little dudes over?
03 Safari AWD SLT 3D 99k Mods: 4" OLV lift, Rancho 5000 shocks, Two new front half shafts, True-cool trans cooler, removed cladding, (n)Z71 offroad decals, Yakama cross bars and fairing, Malone kayak cradle, matte black 16" x 8" MB wheels and 255/70/16 Pirelli Scorpion ATR's.

loopie
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by loopie »

Rasta...you have new rear leaf springs? They will settle a bit over the next yr.
No harm in running the stock shackles either. :yawinkle:

Topic author
rastafari03
I am smitten with my van

Post by rastafari03 »

Hey Loopie,

Yeah, new spring pacs from OVL. I figured they may settle down a bit. Somewhere here in this site I was told to definitely install the new shackles. Something to do with the fact that they move or have movement. The truck rides real nice, makes a little noise at real slow speeds over bumps, think it's the bushings in the shackles. Looking forward to getting the nose up and seeing how she rides. I can always play with the rear to level it out.

Thanks for the info.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

rastafari03 wrote:Somewhere here in this site I was told to definitely install the new shackles. Something to do with the fact that they move or have movement.
I saw that too, its just not true.

Anyways, I just shook my head and said ya whatever Mr rocket scientist!
Stock shackles function just as well as OLV shackles, they just dont lift you up.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.